Whats up with our Flame Angel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-RYknow

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Recently we've noticed that one of our Flame Angel's eyes looks a bit funny. It looks kinda puffy...and has a very cloudy (white) look to it. Just wondering what this might be. It's just his one eye, and the rest of the fish in our tank don't seem to have this condition.

Also, we've noticed that the Flame Angel, Yellow Angel, and Pink Anthias do this weird thing where they kinda...scratch themselves on a piece of LR, or the sand. They move up to it very slowly...position themselves...and then take of real quick, almost as it they have an itch. Why would they be doing this?

Thanks in advance,
-RYknow

Sounds as if the angel scratched the eye as it glanced the lr. Keep up the water quality and nutrition and it should heal back. As far as the "itch" is concerned, do look up Cryptocaryon irritans (ich).

Well, the fire angel didn't make it. I'm pretty bummed cause the first time we saw a really nicely setup SW Aquarium, the fire angel caught my eye, and was a fish I had to have.

I did take a look at those links. I'm not sure if we are dealing with ich or not. There was no signs of any white spots on his body whatsoever. His fins seemed to have been ripped up (almost like something had been nipping at them). He also lost some color, as he wasn't his bright orange, but more of a washed out orange color. Nothing has really changed in the tank from the nearest I can tell. Out levels are as follows.

Salt: 1.024
Ammonia: 0
pH: 8.2
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20

I know the nitrate is a high...but is that where the issue is at? Our tank is currently at 81 F. We've also noticed a small patch (maybe about 3 inches wide) of redish colored algae with long strands coming up out of the sand. What is this, and what do we need to do to get rid of it, as it's kinda of an eye sore.

-RYknow

Really hard to say just by word of mouth, but possibly the angel just had too much trauma and couldn't cope. Usually with ich you will see fish glancing lr or other hard surfaces. Loss of color and a "powdered" look is also common visually. For reefs most try to keep the nitrates undetectable or at least below 15ppm because of invertebrates. Most fish can tolerate higher levels quite well so I would not bank as that being your problem, if fish is all you have. The reddish strands are most likely cyanobacteria. Since there was a death in your tank and probably cyanobacteria a water change would be in your best interest. Do "search" for information on battling cyano.

Back
Top Bottom