whats wrong with me reef tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

track33

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi my name is miguel and new here. ive been in the reef hobby for about three years. recently ive taken down all of my reef tanks and placed everything into my 46 gallon bowfront reef tank. for some reason my corals are bleaching, not all but some. any ideas?
pH: 8.0
phosphates: 0.25 ppm
amonia: 0 ppm
nitrite: 0 ppm
nitrate: 0 ppm (i started vodka docing after some corals started bleaching and got them down to undetectable in API masters reef test kit)
calcium: 430 ppm
magnessium: about 1400 ppm
temp: 83 degrees F
salinity: 1.022
filtration: rapids pro filter with protein skimmer (sponges cleaned every week)
another protein skimmer ( aquatic life in tank skimmer)
about 20% weekly water changes
i run 150 watt LED lights about a foot above my acropora (now sadly bleached) all of my corals were fine until out of nowhere my corals have began to bleach, while others are thriving, my shrimp died while my fish look better than ever. bleaching corals: acropora, devils hand, christmas favia, open brain, torch, pearl bubble coral, toadstool coral, hammer corals
thriving: duncans, sebae anemone, frogspawn coral, montipora digitata, zooas, candy cane, fungi coral, goniopora, mushroom corals, pavona and birdsnest coral.
fish: two clown fish, 3 inch hippo tang (not sick), 4 stripped damsel, 30 pounds of live rock, 50 pounds of aragonite live sand. no algea grownth other than some tough to remove reen alge growing on the glass. any ideas? id really appreciate for some help. thank you !:thanks:

Attachments

• photo 1-1.jpg
    photo 1-1.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 119
  • photo 2-1.jpg
    photo 2-1.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 100
Well your salinity is to low, your temp. Is to high and what are your nitrates at? Did you maybe buy some live rock 2nd hand? I mean off an add?

Just be carefull adding new live rock i mean you go way more experience then me but I had a mini cycle when I added more

All the live rock I have in my reef tank is from my old established tank. My nitrates are undetectable with my API test kit. Could the temperature really be causing my coral bleaching ? They were fine and thriving for about a while and then they started bleaching out of nowhere :confused:

Well from what I understand temp does have a bit to do with bleaching my example is on a major scale but if you look into how a lot of the reefs around the world started dying it was because of global warming and the waters changing temp it cause multiple reefs to die off now if you do that with a small scale eg your reef it will most likely have the se effect I'm no pro but that's just my thoughts on it maybe change your temp and see how you go

I think it might be a combo of your temp being unstable and you should try to raise your PH to about 8.3-8.4 ( monitor your alk. While doing so) and your salinity to 1.025

Fix the temp issue and leave the tank to settle into itself. When things are moved they get stressed. Add in the temp swinging will continue this stress. There is also a chance with the lighting stressing things out as well, if they are stronger than or higher placed than before this could also be causing the bleaching.
Keep parameters stable and fix the temp.

Back
Top Bottom