what's wrong with montipora

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason M

Aquarium Advice Freak
I thought he was bleaching so I moved him to the side of the halides lights. Now he just looks worse.

Sg: 1.025
Ammo: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10 (api test never hits on the colors on chart for me its always inbetween)
Calcium: 420
Alk: 10.5
Mag: don't test
Strontium: don't test
phosphate: .1-.2

I am having a phosphate problem probably over feeding so I picked up some phosguard yesterday. I don't think I forgot to list anything else. This monti use to be a nice pinkish red but now he's browning out. Any ideas

ForumRunner_20120211_131302.jpg

look for something called rowaphos that's the best,that phosguard won't do it.trust me you'll be getting back to me, telling me it works!!lol

I was looking at their reactors. I'm thubkjbg of getting a reef octopus phosphorate reactor. But now u seem to have higher nitrates this week and my millipora isn't expanding its tenticals. This is the first problem ive had since setting up 6 months ago. Have heard anything about the biopellet reactors out there?

A month about maybe more. Thing is I am also losing a millipora one if my favorites. 4 days ago it stopped expanding its tenticals and I thought it was the nitrate so I did 10 percent changes every day till it was zero. Ive had him since december and it was growing new columns then al the sudden bang no expansion and today its bleaching on the tips

All my lps are doing great and my sps seem to be taking a turn for the worst. These are my first sps.

Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate between 0 and 5
Cal 420
Alk 10.5
Phosphate still at .1 or so but going down. I have had higher phosphate from the start
Salinity 34 ppt

Other than that I don't measure anything else like strontium or mag

I think your calcium is low then. API gives me consistent high calcium readings. I don't think that has much to do with the bleaching though. Where do you have them in the tank? they are not super high light sps.

I have it top of the second third if ky tank. It's as high as the rocks go under 150w mh and pc actinic. The api does seem to give high readings and the nitrate test blows. I don't know how other nitrate tests go but I bet salifert is better. This happened so fast. Atleast the acros are doing good for the moment. Never had a problem before. Everyone always says bad things happen fast

It's hard to tell with that pic, but it looks to me like there is some cyano on the rocks. If that's the case you have a high nutrient level in your tank. SPS corals do not like high nutrients where it doesn't both LPS as much because they come from higher nutrient laden waters. Unless you have access to a high tech lab, there is no way for the average person to test their nutrient levels.
Are you running carbon? If so, what brand, how are you using it and how often do you change it out?
Do you have a protein skimmer? If so, what brand?

Coralife 125 skimmer and as far as carbon its just aquaclear brand. I got the cyano under control now. I almost have it gone just a few spots that keep coming back and by the monti is one of them

If you are serious about keeping SPS corals long term, I would suggest getting a better skimmer (the Coralife SuperSkimmer 125 is junk) and use a high quality carbon, such as ROX 0.8 and use it in a reactor.

I just got a sump going and am going to buy an Aqua c ev120. O haven't had any good ways to run media so I was thinking of a fluidized reactor. Reef octopus has some

I made the mistake of buffering my ph and I think that's what hsppened. It's steady now but was swinging last night

Thats nice and cheap. I was going to make my own but the acrylic tubes I looked at ate just ad much ad one that comes with a pump and everything so why not buy one u know

What size tank do u run it on. It will work in my 55g. Just wondering what u got

I think my millipora may be coming around. He's getting his tip color back and has half his tenticals out. I have a feeling its cuz I messed with the ph. It's steady now at 8. I just can't get my water to to above that no matter how much I add oxygen to it. I don't test for do so maybe I'm not adding as much as I think I am I don't know

Back
Top Bottom