Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Whats wrong with my angelfish

It's hard to see by this pic but it's coloring is a little splotchy. He is rather sluggish and staying towards the bottom of the tank. He's not moving around very much. Just noticed this today. Any ideas what might be wrong with him?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3687192554.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	199456   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1842759167.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	199457  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3538254104.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	199458  

Old 09-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of angel is that? I am having trouble figuring out which one, because they change colour so dramatically when they transition into adults. How long have you had it? He could be stressed, how big is the tank? Who are his tank mates?

Old 09-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
What kind of angel is that? I am having trouble figuring out which one, because they change colour so dramatically when they transition into adults. How long have you had it? He could be stressed, how big is the tank? Who are his tank mates?
looks like a juvenile blue ring angel and if so they require 220 gallon tanks and that may be causing it to stress. The tank in the picture looks significantly smaller but I could be wrong. Need more tank and livestock info.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #4

I am not sure what kind it was I was trying to figure that out. However, I have had a 36 gallon tank for 2 years and just upgraded to a 55 about 2 months ago. The angel had no problem with the smaller tank and didn't seem to have any problem with the larger tank til the other day. There is a damsel, a pair of clownfish, a goby, a yellow tang and an urchin in there with him. Not much different from the tank mates in the smaller tank, save the urchin. But he has gotten along fine with them in the past.
Last I checked the water parameters were spot on. I am going to check again when I get home but I don't anticipate much flux.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are you feeding it? How long have you had it? Any recent new additions? Also...by "spot on", do you mean everything is zero?

Any large angel needs a much larger tank. A fish that gets to be 1'+ does not belong in a small tank for long. If you have had it for over 2 years, it could be an issue with stunted growth and/or stress catching up to it.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agree with the Todd, if you've had it for a couple of years it's stress related for sure. Only way to fix that is a tank upgrade, a really big one!
Old 09-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looks to me like a changing Koran Angel. If it is then I'm more concerned about the tank size as a changing Koran means its getting big!

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
begginersluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #8

I am not so sure it's stress. I just noticed last night extremely small white specs around his facial area. Doesn't really look like ich though. I will be getting him into the quarantine tank tonight though. Unless stress can cause these as well but I have never heard of that.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could be HLLE. Cause has not been proven, but theories include stress, poor water quality, poor nutrition and even stray voltage. Its usually seen in Tangs, but Angels are second on the list.

Not to be mean, but your 55g is about 1/3 to 1/4 what a large Angel should be in. It simply will not thrive in a tank that small for a long period of time, as you are seeing now.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #10

Thanks guys I will look into getting it a bigger tank!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com