Whats wrong with my angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flyerfridge

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It's hard to see by this pic but it's coloring is a little splotchy. He is rather sluggish and staying towards the bottom of the tank. He's not moving around very much. Just noticed this today. Any ideas what might be wrong with him?

Attachments

• image-3687192554.jpg
    image-3687192554.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 118
  • image-1842759167.jpg
    image-1842759167.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 127
  • image-3538254104.jpg
    image-3538254104.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 145
What kind of angel is that? I am having trouble figuring out which one, because they change colour so dramatically when they transition into adults. How long have you had it? He could be stressed, how big is the tank? Who are his tank mates?

What kind of angel is that? I am having trouble figuring out which one, because they change colour so dramatically when they transition into adults. How long have you had it? He could be stressed, how big is the tank? Who are his tank mates?
looks like a juvenile blue ring angel and if so they require 220 gallon tanks and that may be causing it to stress. The tank in the picture looks significantly smaller but I could be wrong. Need more tank and livestock info.

I am not sure what kind it was I was trying to figure that out. However, I have had a 36 gallon tank for 2 years and just upgraded to a 55 about 2 months ago. The angel had no problem with the smaller tank and didn't seem to have any problem with the larger tank til the other day. There is a damsel, a pair of clownfish, a goby, a yellow tang and an urchin in there with him. Not much different from the tank mates in the smaller tank, save the urchin. But he has gotten along fine with them in the past.
Last I checked the water parameters were spot on. I am going to check again when I get home but I don't anticipate much flux.

What are you feeding it? How long have you had it? Any recent new additions? Also...by "spot on", do you mean everything is zero?

Any large angel needs a much larger tank. A fish that gets to be 1'+ does not belong in a small tank for long. If you have had it for over 2 years, it could be an issue with stunted growth and/or stress catching up to it.

Agree with the Todd, if you've had it for a couple of years it's stress related for sure. Only way to fix that is a tank upgrade, a really big one!

I am not so sure it's stress. I just noticed last night extremely small white specs around his facial area. Doesn't really look like ich though. I will be getting him into the quarantine tank tonight though. Unless stress can cause these as well but I have never heard of that.

Could be HLLE. Cause has not been proven, but theories include stress, poor water quality, poor nutrition and even stray voltage. Its usually seen in Tangs, but Angels are second on the list.

Not to be mean, but your 55g is about 1/3 to 1/4 what a large Angel should be in. It simply will not thrive in a tank that small for a long period of time, as you are seeing now.

Back
Top Bottom