Whats wrong with my bubble tip 'nems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pzunker

Aquarium Advice Regular
My bubble tip nems have looked very skinny for over a month now. All my water levels are within normal limits with my only issue there being the Nitrate level spiking up to 40 for a bit, but they are back down to 5. Everybody else in the tank (including my larger bubble tip that the Clarke is nested in) is doing just fine, so I don't get it. Lighting is all T5 10k 24w and there is a 10k Actinic on as well. Any thoughts?

image-321293393.jpg

image-2539153829.jpg

image-2425860724.jpg

It looks bleached.. not a good sign. Hope it comes back. I have had three nems. Two went into powerheads. One never bleached but shriveled up turned inside out. I want another but am giving it a while..

The first two pics look very bleached. And the underside of the nem in the 3rd pic looks very white, despite the tentacles of that one not being bleached. I'm thinking the lighting isn't enough. Hope they get better.

Not to repeat what was already said, but a 2 bulb T5HO unit just isn't enough light to keep an anemone alive. Any clue what caused your nitrates to spike up to 40? That is def something that will not help matters. Anemones need stable parameters to be able to thrive along with strong lighting, I'd suggest no less than a 6 bulb T5HO personally.

+1 on lighting not being enough I suggest way stronger light then that

I personally don't like that light at all and at that price I'm sure you can find a stronger t5 lighting that will be more efficient

I have a 4x54W T5 set up that is a month old.
My BT moved after about 2 weeks of being up in the top 1/3 of the tank. He dropped down under the overhang of a rock so now he is almost completely shaded. I had recently changed the flow pattern on my power heads so maybe he didn't like the new flow (wasn't too strong, wasn't too weak). Would he sacrifice the light for a different flow pattern? He is in a higher flow, very low light area now.

Back
Top Bottom