whats wrong with my clown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

two11devan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I noticed mny clown acting strange today. She has been hiding out in the top corner of the tank where she and her mate sleep at night. She isn't swimming all over the place and following me around the room like she normally does. SHe has been swimming up and down slowly in one place. She seems very lathargic. She ate when i fed her, but she didn't swim to the sidce i normally feed them. I had to put some food over where she is hanging out. I can't see any obvious signs of infections or injuries and my water chemistry is normal. The male clown has been hanging out with her for the most part but will swim around like normal also. I have no idea what is up with her. Could she be pregnant? What are the signs? Thanks for the help in advance.

Worried about my clown

I posted this in the sick thread, got 20 views but no replies....Hopefully it will get a little more exposure here...

I noticed my clown acting strange today. She has been hiding out in the top corner of the tank where she and her mate sleep at night. She isn't swimming all over the place and following me around the room like she normally does. SHe has been swimming up and down slowly in one place. She seems very lethargic. She ate when i fed her, but she didn't swim to the side i normally feed them. I had to put some food over where she is hanging out. I can't see any obvious signs of infections or injuries and my water chemistry is normal. The male clown has been hanging out with her for the most part but will swim around like normal also. I have no idea what is up with her. Could she be pregnant? What are the signs? Thanks for the help in advance.

This morning she is doing the same thing....staying in her corner and swimming in place vertically (facing the sand as well as the top of the tank) The male clown seems to still be hanging in the general area with her, almost as if he were watching out for her. Im getting worried that she might be sick, but i have no clue what to do for her! ANy help or even ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Other than the change in swimming patterns and shying in the corner, are there any other noticable indications of a problem? There could actually be nothing wrong and it's just keeping to a specific area as clowns will do when paired, especially the female.

Any sign of bloating, color loss/change, odd markings, rapid breathing or uncontrollable swimming?

How are the water specs for ph and ammonia? All in line?

Cheers.
Steve

All my water specs are in line...I can't see anything noticibly wrong with her such as bloating or color loss etc...this just isn't normal for her...I have had the clowns for almost 6 months now and haven't seen her do this before. She is eating, but not as aggresively as before.... she is spending most of the thime in the top corner staying vertical (facing up and or down) I have never seen this before... Also, something i just noticed...it almost looks as if she can't see very well....she doesn't seem to notice food when it passes by her and she seems to be bumping into things (tank wall, heater, etc)

I failed to mention that my tank had a temp. swing the day morning that before i noticed her acting strange.....the heat sensor to my won pro heater somehow came out of the water and that raised the temp of the water. The temp led display showed 86 degrees, but i tested the water with a floating thermometer and it only showed about 82 or 83 degrees (the thermometer says its only accurate to + or - 1 degree)...I normally keep my tank around 80 - 82 degrees... Could her symptoms be a sign of stress from the swing?

two11devan said:
she is spending most of the thime in the top corner staying vertical (facing up and or down) I have never seen this before... Also, something i just noticed...it almost looks as if she can't see very well....she doesn't seem to notice food when it passes by her and she seems to be bumping into things (tank wall, heater, etc)
This may suggest an internal bacterial infection or possibley a swim bladder problem. What is the fish's main diet and have you witnessed any aggression from the third clown?

Cheers
Steve

I only have 1 other clown (a male) i feed a variety of tetra marine flakes, formula 2 flakes, as well as frozen mysis shrimp...there has been no agression towards her at all...the other clown is her only other ftank mate...besides inverts

two11devan said:
I only have 1 other clown (a male)
Sorry, my bad :oops: I got you confused with Todd.

i feed a variety of tetra marine flakes, formula 2 flakes, as well as frozen mysis shrimp...there has been no agression towards her at all...the other clown is her only other ftank mate...besides inverts
Seems fine but I would try adding some Zoe to the mix a few times a week. Also add some softened green peas to the mysis, slightly mashed together the next feeding and see if that helps. If it's a blockage, that should ease it.

Unless the symptoms progress, I would not suggest meds at this point.

Cheers
Steve

I always consider the possiblity of brooklynella (clownfish disease) when a clownfish is obviously in distress. Usually a LARGE water change with well aged and aerated saltwater is a good first move. If the fish does not respond to this then I suggest that you read up on brooklynella and prepare to give the fish a series of formalin dips. You can also treat the fish in quarantine with nitrofurazone or Maracyn-Two. Doing these three things will cover a lot of bases. How long have you had the clown?
Terry B

I think chris had already posted that he had the clown for 6 months, maybe you miss that sentence. :D

ha ha....yep....about 6 months.....she seems to be doing better....she is not just swimming in place vertically all the time. I have seen her wander about the tank a little bit but she still is not 100%. It still seems like she is not seeing well for some reason. She kinda bumps into things every once in a while and doesn't seem to recognize when somone is approaching the tank like she used to. I will do a water change and see if that helps...Thanks for all the input!

Back
Top Bottom