Whats wrong with my coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gookusrarl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got this polyp coral and when I bought it there were heaps more polyps but now it appears that some of them have died? Take a look and let me know what u think and how I can get them better.

Attachments

• image-2876822510.jpg
    image-2876822510.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 137
  • image-3683001673.jpg
    image-3683001673.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 162
Welcome... how long ago did you buy the coral? How did you acclimate? What are water parameters? Lighting? How long has tank been set up? More information will maybe get more responses...

Looks like a new tank. Is it cycled. How long has it been set up.

Water parameters: pH 8-8.2, ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20-40. Have had tank for 6 weeks. Cycled it. Water changes when nitrate goes above 20. Other parameters never exceed limits. Feed once a day. Coral has been in the tank for about 2-3weeks.

My guess would be the tank is no stable enough yet,meaning nitrates at 40 will irritate corals ..I would try to get the nitrates to 0

I wouldn't wait for the nitrates to go up. You'll want to do your water changes on a schedule. I do about at 10-20 percent change every week on my nano. And every other week on my 125 and my nitrates stay around zero to maybe 5

What lighting do you have over the tank? What fish do you have other than the clown?

Alright ill try upping the water changes. My tank is the new fluval, I don't know what the lighting is on it but I asked what coral would b suited to that lighting and that's wat they told me. I got the clown an orange tang and a blue spotted puffer. A few people have said is the puffer nibbling at the coral but I watch him quite a bit n never see him biting it. My other corals seem to be doing fine

What size tank is it? The bioload could be on the heavy side hence the suggestion to do weekly water changes. Could also be the lighting if its the tank I'm thinking of I don't belive the lights are strong enough for coral. Some more info would be great.

Good evening... I'm confident it's a combination of water quality and light intensity. The older your tank, the better, and preferably the equation for lighting is 3-4watts per gallon provided you have the right light spectrums. Fluvals are not known as great saltwater nano tanks.

Good evening... I'm confident it's a combination of water quality and light intensity. The older your tank, the better, and preferably the equation for lighting is 3-4watts per gallon provided you have the right light spectrums. Fluvals are not known as great saltwater nano tanks.

Agree with the water quality, but lighting wise, it is hard to say, my zoanth grow like crazy under both direct LED or shaded area, they are more durable than most of the softies. However that being said, if he is using LED it has a chance to shock the polyps.
The 3 to 4W is just a general rule for PC/T5 and MH. Doesn't work for LED. If he uses that with a LED fixture on a nano tank. The coral will melt in no time. From the picture I do see the light are very focus in the middle. I would suggest to move the light a bit higher and do 50% water change to try to lower the nitrate.

What fluval do you have "fluval edge"? Are the LEDs fixed at one point? And he is right the LEDs penetrate water much better the wattage does not need to be as intense.

I hear of many people modifying the fluval edge by raising the light and some even make a whole new fixture.

Back
Top Bottom