Whats wrong with my coral polyps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

I have a cluster of Coral Polyps, The LFS called them Zoo Polyps.

They have been in the tank for ahwile now, and for the longest time, they were just growing and growing, every day they were wide open, and they got to be a couple inches long..

In the last week, they have shrink and are only now maybe 1/2" long, and are mostly closed up all the time.

The water conditions are all normal.

Any ideas?

Thanks

-TheChad

Is anybody nipping at them? Are any other corals near them? How old are the lights? Just some things to check out.

How old are your lights? Have you added anything new to the tank in the last week? Any new corals? When was your last water change?

Perhaps checking at night to make sure you dont get any zoa eating nudis . Fresh water dip then dip in lugols as an added measure . They may also just be tempramental ..I have some that will close up for a few days then open like normal .....Just make sure to watch for signs of melting zoas if you see that remove them into a QT

The Light's are T5's anre are about 8 months old.. Give or take a month or so..

The "Normal" water conditions are 0-Ammonia, 0- Nitrate, 0-Nitrite, 8.2-8.3 PH. My salinity is 1.024SG

The only thing's added lately are some snails, Dward Zebra Crabs, a Sally Light foot crab, and a couple of blue leg crabs.

However before they were added, the corals were acting the same......

The only thing that ever goes around the polyps is my camel shirmp, he will walk on them sometimes, they have never really been bothered by him before. They would close up, and reopen when he was done standing on them.

-TheChad

camel shirmp
There is your answer camel shrimps are know to eat/pick at polyps remove him or the polyps . They will also pick on other softies as well .

TheChad said:
The only thing that ever goes around the polyps is my camel shirmp, he will walk on them sometimes, they have never really been bothered by him before. They would close up, and reopen when he was done standing on them.

-TheChad

I agree it may be the camel shrimp. They are not totally reef safe. It may have just taken him some time to choose to nip at them. I'd remove him and see if there's any improvement.

I doubt he is the cause.

The reason I say this is because Not only the big cluster of Polyps, but a smaller cluster that Broke off, and started growin in another area in the tank, that the camel shrimp never goes to looks about the same.

I have never seen the camel shrimp anyware around the small cluster.

Both clusters were growing, with small polyps sprouting, and the large ones getting longer. One day they both just stopped.

-TheChad

That does not mean he does not favor one cluster to the other ... I think that if you remove him that you may see improvment ... it is of course your call but I truely do think that it is the major issue here....

TheChad said:
I have never seen the camel shrimp anyware around the small cluster.

Your thinking on this is understandable but you can't watch them every minute to be sure they aren't bothering them.
I don't know if the shrimp are what's wrong with your polyps but from the info you've provided, they seem the most likely suspect. Otherwise, you could try replacing your light bulbs. I have no experience with T-5 bulbs and don't know how often they should be replaced but if there has been a color shift in the bulbs due to age, that could cause your corals to be unhappy.
It could also be a chemical problem. You could try doing a few extra water changes and run some activated carbon if your not already to see if that helps.
I would also keep checking at night for anything irritating them just in case. Sea spiders feast on zoas and are almost impossible to see, sundial snails are small and may be hidden within the stalks out of sight. Just some ideas.

Back
Top Bottom