Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-07-2007, 03:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm guessing they're out right after you feed your fish?

I've noticed that from time to time with my brain coral (platygyra). I take it as a sign that it's hungry and usually will give it a snack that night. I normally feed it once a week, but maybe just like the rest of us, it gets a little more hungry from time to time?

I know my open brain will show its tentacles whenever food is in the tank, then pull them back in about 30 minutes later.

Cool little things!

(sorry for the double post there. Thought I was just "editing" but something weird must've happened.)

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
Now is this a sign that the coral is not getting enough food? I was under the impression that corals got all they needed from the water column and lighting.

usmcmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't know if it really means they're hungry... that's just how I've interpreted it. I've never read it anywhere... but since it's a means of acquiring food or defending itself, I've just assumed "hungry."

Regarding corals getting all they need from the water column and lighting, I think that's one of those blanket statements that has a lot of assumptions built in. I'm sure it's true for some folks, and not true from others. If you think about it, if you're a sloppy feeder, and your tank parameters are not that pristine, and you don't have a skimmer or use any carbon, then you probably have plenty for the corals to feed on. (Assuming your water isn't so disgusting that the corals just up and die on you to start with!) But if you go the other way, and your water is stripped of any suspended nutrients at all, then I can see where maybe the corals might want more to sustain themselves. It seems like it's a really delicate balancing act.

My only suggestion is go with your gut, but don't overdo it. I remember you had excess nutrient issues in the beginning and you were probably overdosing on the food. If you're like me, you probably swung back too far the other way, not wanting it to happen again. For me, it really boils down to watching your corals and seeing how they respond to certain feeding regimines over several weeks. All corals don't have the same needs. My platygyra gets feed once a week, at the most. It's growing like a weed. My torch and open brain though, they seem to like meaty stuff once every 4-5 days or so. It's hard to really describe, but I tried feeding them just once a week and they just didn't seem as "happy" as when I fed them more often. I didn't have any water quality issues with the 4-5 day schedule, so that's what I've stuck with.

Not sure if that really answers your question, but at least that's my take of it.
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

When I feed the tank I shut down the main pump and wait for the sump to stop filling before I feed. I leave the PHs on to blow the food around. The pump stays off for 20 - 40 minutes so everything has time to feed.

I only feed the tank every 2 -3 days and the anemone gets target fed some bits of silverside once a week. That the only thing that gets target fed in my tank.

As for the Favites, this is from the link that Mike posted ... " It will also benefit from the addition of supplemental food in the form of micro-plankton or brine shrimp, fed twice per week in the evening while its tentacles are visible."

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com