What's wrong with this mushroom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys. Got this mushroom polyp from Mike (melosu58) back in the summer and it's been great ever since then. As you can see in the one picture, it's been multiplying like crazy and from the 2 polyps Mike gave me I have around 10 now. Anyways, this particular polyp used to get HUGE and in the past few days has been looking worse and worse. Today I came home from work and this is what it looked like.

Are the other mushrooms bothering it? Is it just trying to move to a new home? Is is just trying to duplicate some more and it's out of room to move to? It's weird. If you look in the pictures, along the thin part it looks like some stringy white stuff is coming out of the coral too.

I'm about to leave tonight for the weekend and I can have my parents monitor it for me but they really can't do anything about it. Is it dying or do you guys think it will be okay? I've seen mushrooms spread like this, but never drop off and hang and look so sickly like that.

My water parameters aren't the best. ammonia and nitrite is 0 but the trates are around 30 or 40. Need to do a water change. Everything else is fine and holding steady for months now. The only change I have made recently is that I removed the phosban from my tank because it is exhausted and I don't have the extra cash to get anymore yet.

Thoughts?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• dsc00749__medium__207.jpg
    dsc00749__medium__207.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 74
  • dsc00750__medium__532.jpg
    dsc00750__medium__532.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 95
  • dsc00751__medium__438.jpg
    dsc00751__medium__438.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 97
Almost looks like it is multiplying Lindsay. I never saw that with mine but that dont mean anything. Those mushrooms are indestructable as far as my experience. My guess is that he will be back to normal when you get back. Let us know.

Thanks Mike, I'm getting ready to call home now and see how it is. I put some rocks underneath it incase it does call off (sure looks like it) hopefully it will settle in the rock pile and attach.

I'll update when I get home, I feel a little better now.

Thanks again :)

I've had a mushroom do that before. I now have several colonies of them around the tank. It seems to fall off and start somewhere else. It seems to happen when I inadvertently change the flow pattern from the PHs after cleaning them.

It looks like it is moving , and leaving part of his foot behind to reproduce ... It other wise looks fine ... As the others have said they are virtually indestructible and horny as a bunnies :)
Ya caught a nice pic of a peanut worm in the one shot

As far as them reproducing Lindsay look at these two pics. The one is when I first got them and the other now. I`m anticipating your`s looking like that Lindsay.

Attachments

• 100_0699_136.jpg
    100_0699_136.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 09220006_155.jpg
    09220006_155.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 56
I found a mushroom on the sandbed next to my rock covered with shrooms. I picked it up, and tied to place it . It slipped out of my fingers and landed on my frogspawn....It was there for about 4 seconds before I brushed it off.

Well, Frogspawn wasnt happy...retracted and made slime for something like 4 hours.

Cool, thanks everyone! The mushroom did break off.... and then drift over to my open brain. When I got home the mushroom was laying against the brain and the brain was not happy, but it looks all fine. The mushroom is growing into the sand right now, and I'm going to try and move it back up onto the rock, but it's layed out flat on the sandbed for now and looks happy.

Sadie, that is my serpent starfish in the one picture, not a peanut worm :)

Thanks again everyone, I really didn't want to lose the mushroom, these things are growing so fast.

Mike, already the mushroom left behind after the big polyp dropped off is already forming two new mushrooms!

Devilishturtles said:
Mike, already the mushroom left behind after the big polyp dropped off is already forming two new mushrooms!

Sounds like good news to me. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom