When can I add fish to my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ffmd212

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 65gal FOWLR tank. I had an assortment of fish 4 damsels, a foxface and powder blue tang. After the the tang had been in the tank for about a month, it developed ich and died, all of the other fish succumbed to the ich too and paraished, except for the foxface who seems to have recovered. Now, I am a little confused on what I should do. I was told and read that once a tank had ich that it would need to be fishless for about eight weeks to kill of the parasites. I was goning to do this thinking the foxface would die, but since it has not and now appears to be healed I an not sure what to do next. I would like to re-populate the tanks but I want to make sure the ich is gone.

You may have to treat as if the foxface had ich when you have him in QT to make sure the ich completely gone. IMO

SO I should try and get the foxface out and keep in a QT?? Even though it has seemed to have survived?

The foxface might have survived so far but the parasite is still there. As long as there is a fish host there then it still thrives.

update

Well all fish are gone now, so I am about 4 days into my 8 week wait. Now I do have another question, with all the fish gone will my live rock start to die off? Will I need to "feed" the growth I have somehow? Just curious

I would say add a few flakes to your tank every 3 days and the break down of them will feed your nitrifying bacteria that is on your rock.

I would say add a few flakes to your tank every 3 days and the break down of them will feed your nitrifying bacteria that is on your rock.

Thanks, I will do that, plus I think a little food here and there will keep my little crabs at bay!

What about adding some coral?

I was wondering, since my tank will be fishless for a couple of months, can I start adding some coral. That was my original plan, to add some coral but of course the ich problem surfaced. I believe coral would not be affected by ich is that correct?

Back
Top Bottom