Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's apparently what the instructions say to do. I did not catch that with my kit, but saw a scan someone posted a while ago and it does say that. I could not find my booklet, but assume they are all that way. You would think they'd make it more noticeable so people get accurate readings.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
That's apparently what the instructions say to do. I did not catch that with my kit, but saw a scan someone posted a while ago and it does say that. I could not find my booklet, but assume they are all that way. You would think they'd make it more noticeable so people get accurate readings.
Yep. I didn't catch that with my directions either. But couldn't figure out why my nitrates always read high but I had absolutely no algae. Then I did multiple side by side tests with API and Red Sea kits and API nitrate was always 4 times higher. Then I saw someone posted a pic of the API instructions, and Sure enough, it's there.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl View Post

Yep. I didn't catch that with my directions either. But couldn't figure out why my nitrates always read high but I had absolutely no algae. Then I did multiple side by side tests with API and Red Sea kits and API nitrate was always 4 times higher. Then I saw someone posted a pic of the API instructions, and Sure enough, it's there.
Does this include the API test kit with the color card? I would assume not.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbratz View Post

Does this include the API test kit with the color card? I would assume not.
I think all nitrate tests have color cards, don't they? I've never seen one that didn't.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl View Post

I think all nitrate tests have color cards, don't they? I've never seen one that didn't.
I would assume so. And so, if your nitrate results from API is 0 it's not possible to divide by 4. Hence the question I posed earlier.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I would assume so. And so, if your nitrate results from API is 0 it's not possible to divide by 4. Hence the question I posed earlier.
Why is that not possible? 0/4 =0

I don't know anything about the dividing by 4 in terms of the API nitrate test kit though.

I would like to know more as that is the kit I have at the moment and it seems my nitrates are high for my stock, feeding schedule, and equipment. I plan to purchase a safeirt kit here soon for comparison.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine are almost always zero, so I figure however you do the math, they are still zero. I plan to buy other brands when my API runs out. Wish I had known they are not the most reliable brand. Seems that's all anyone in this area sells though.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_marie View Post

Why is that not possible? 0/4 =0

I don't know anything about the dividing by 4 in terms of the API nitrate test kit though.

I would like to know more as that is the kit I have at the moment and it seems my nitrates are high for my stock, feeding schedule, and equipment. I plan to purchase a safeirt kit here soon for comparison.
Because any number divided by 0 will equal 0. Thus making it impossible ( in this example ) to yield anything but 0.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
Mine are almost always zero, so I figure however you do the math, they are still zero. I plan to buy other brands when my API runs out. Wish I had known they are not the most reliable brand. Seems that's all anyone in this area sells though.
Yeah, I've got that same issue. And if I find something other, it's usually a "single test" situation. Although, I did see the sea chem tests going for around 13.00 online. Which may make it worth it to purchase 3 or 4 separate kits at one time. I just wish they had the API approach, but even then the API reef master kit is missing ammonia and nitrite
Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Because any number divided by 0 will equal 0. Thus making it impossible ( in this example ) to yield anything but 0.
You cannot divide by 0.

You are not dividing by 0, you are dividing by 4.

How many times 4 goes into 0.

Yes, any number 0/(on this side of the division sign with a 0) will give you 0.

In this case, if it is indeed necessary to divide any result by four, just because your result is 0 would not make it inaccurate.

I see this system, if indeed necessary for this test, making it a little more work to get the right answer.

But do not see why you think it is in accurate.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com