Where to begin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're talking like it is impossible to divide 0 by 4 and its not. You wouldn't and couldn't get negative by that operation and obviously nitrates could not be negative.

Results say nitrates are 0, then they're 0.

But dividing the 0 result by 4 is 0 still 0. So either way the result is 0, 0 nitrates, whatever. You know 4 into 0 is 0 so theres no need to do the math. 0 is 0.

Just because you are dividing into 0 by 4 doesn't mean it needs to be less than 0 or something, I honestly can't figure out your negative talk and such. Just because its division doesn't mean the answer has to less than the 'result' (in this case).

Its really simple, its just a simple math equation. You don't need to go less than 0 if your result was 0 (just speaking in this case if it even needed to be done). Its just that each result would be divided by 4 in this case of the testing to achieve the correct level of nitrates. Dividing 0 by 4 does not change the results. 0=0 It is not impossible, it isn't inaccurate.

Again, I never said it was inaccurate. Those are your words not mine. In this case it's impossible, as I've already said in a test situation it's impossible to get anything less than 0. So, unless you can achieve a negative nitrate it's impossible to divide the 0 result by 4 and recieve any other number than 0, thus never changing the result of the test result of 0, making it impossible to ( in my example) to divide it by 4, because the test would remain at 0.

All math aside (sorry, math and I do not mix)...I have heard from several people that the API tests are not as accurate as the others. It's not a math thing, its chemistry. For my FOWLR, where being precise is probably not as important, I'm ok with my API for now. As the bottles run dry, I will replace with other brands.

I do agree that the idea of dividing any of it by four seems odd...So if you tested and got the 160 ppm color, it would really be 40 ppm? If so, what color would give you a true 80 or 160 ppm reading? I've gotta go find my booklet and read it over...

Please be sure to update if you get a response from them.

Ok, just found my saltwater booklet. It says that this kit reads total nitrate level in parts per million. It then says that this measures nitrate as nitrate ion or "total nitrate". Other nitrate test kits that measure "nitrate nitrogen" will give readings 4.4 times LESS than this test kit.

To me, that says nothing about dividing their kit by 4.4. Your result is based on the color of your results, which is in ppm, which is what we'd want, right?

It sounds like different kits are measuring different things, thus the 4.4 difference. You would multiply kits that measure "nitrate nitrogen" by 4.4 to get an equivalent API "total nitrate" reading.

I think that if this is a topic that still is of interest to people, a new thread needs to be started cuz this thread has been completely hijacked from the OP.
sorry OP.

Again, I never said it was inaccurate. Those are your words not mine. In this case it's impossible, as I've already said in a test situation it's impossible to get anything less than 0. So, unless you can achieve a negative nitrate it's impossible to divide the 0 result by 4 and recieve any other number than 0, thus never changing the result of the test result of 0, making it impossible to ( in my example) to divide it by 4, because the test would remain at 0.

I could have swore I read inaccurate in one of your posts, whatever, not a big deal. Just look over that then.

I never said it was possible to get anything less than 0. So why do you keep saying that?

My point is you don't need to get anything less than 0. What does that have to do with anything?

All I did was correct your math or statement about a math operation.

It still doesn't make it impossible to divide by 4.

Math doesn't change. It doesn't make the operation 0/4 impossible.

Yes it will always be 0. But that's the point, it should be because that would be the correct reading.

The only thing that would be impossible is dividing by 0, as we cleared up, I hope.

Anyway, I do want to apologize to the OP as I never expected to get into a conversation like this. I'm done with it as I feel it's pointless from this point on. I got caught up and should have stopped talking It has taken it completely off topic and I don't know anything regarding the API test kit regarding the dividing by 4 anyway.
Again sorry and I wish you luck with your new tank.

I think that if this is a topic that still is of interest to people, a new thread needs to be started cuz this thread has been completely hijacked from the OP.
sorry OP.

Agreed. Apologies to the OP. Keep us updated as things progress and we will do what we can to help.

Willbratz-Regarding the API tests...please start another thread when you hear back from them. Seems important for people to understand the proper way to read results. 160 or 40 is a huge difference.

Gymmic, It looks Luke thing got sidetracked for a bit. When your doing your water change with a sump, be sure to shut the return pump off first. You don't want the return section running dry during the change. Then do the water change in the main tank. There are other ways to do it, but that is the simplest.

What kind of test kits do u have sorry if I missed that part all the math post back and forth made me forget...

Back
Top Bottom