Where to perform hyposalinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Having tried a couple of invert safe medication to treat ich in my FOWLR tank, I have finally decided to treat it using hyposalinity. But I am still unsure where to apply the treatment which I hope someone could help out here. They are:

1) Shall I carry out the hypo treatment in my display tank with LR. There aren't any inverts on the LR, but I have some astrea snails, red leg hermit crabs and a cleaner shrimp. Will these survive the hypo treatment?

2) Shall I move the LR and shrimp, crabs and snail out into a quarantine tank and carry out the treatment in the display tank with the fishes only?

3) Shall I move the fishes out into a quarantine tank and treat them there? That means leaving the LR, shrimp, crabs and snails in the display tank with normal salinity. Will the ich still die off because there is no host?

I prefer option 1) because this is minimal work for me and suits my natural of work. I work away from home during the week, so it would be difficult for my wife to look after the two tanks and a child.

And when should I use copper based medication? How will I know when a fish is seriously ill and hypos treatment will not work?

Any input will be appreciated!

kwan said:
1) Shall I carry out the hypo treatment in my display tank with LR. There aren't any inverts on the LR, but I have some astrea snails, red leg hermit crabs and a cleaner shrimp. Will these survive the hypo treatment?
This is not an option. Nothing will survive a hypo treatment except the bacteria and fish. All other life will perish.

2) Shall I move the LR and shrimp, crabs and snail out into a quarantine tank and carry out the treatment in the display tank with the fishes only?
I would reserve this as a last option depending on size and amount of fish to be treated. You will need to be absolutely sure the QT is properly cycled. They would also need to remain there for about 6ish weeks.

3) Shall I move the fishes out into a quarantine tank and treat them there? That means leaving the LR, shrimp, crabs and snails in the display tank with normal salinity. Will the ich still die off because there is no host?
This is the best option. The fish can be properly treated in a seperate controlled environmet and the main tank if left fallow for 4-6 weeks will allow the parasite to die off naturally. You can read the details of hyposalinity >>here<<

And when should I use copper based medication? How will I know when a fish is seriously ill and hypos treatment will not work?
If treating C. irritans and a QT is available, I would not suggest the use of copper. It is not necessary and the hypo treatment done properly is much less stressful to the fish. Also, copper and hyposalinity should not be combined as one treatment. One or the other.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks the prompt reply Steve!

Although you prefer option 3) moving the fishes to a QT, but my QT is not cycled, infact is not set up yet. I have placed an internal filter today in the main tank to build up the bacteria, but this may not be sufficient in a few days. In which case wouldn't this be more stressful for the fish if the tank is not yet cycled? What is other prefered option?

One more question, do I need to have lights in the QT for the fish?

kwan said:
Although you prefer option 3) moving the fishes to a QT, but my QT is not cycled, infact is not set up yet. I have placed an internal filter today in the main tank to build up the bacteria, but this may not be sufficient in a few days. In which case wouldn't this be more stressful for the fish if the tank is not yet cycled? What is other prefered option?
Actually with a QT just for fish, not having a cycled tank will not be a problem although it is prefered. It is usually best to seed a filter from the main tank for a week or so but a few days will benefit it more than nothing.

As long as you do the necessary water changes to keep ammonia and nitrites at a minimum it should be fine. Be sure you test the water twice a day and only used well aged SW mixed to the same salinity as the QT. This will also help maintain the ph which has a habit of falling off during hypo. Be sure to check both ph and alk throughout the process start to finish.

One more question, do I need to have lights in the QT for the fish?
Not needed nor really advised. Ambient room light will be enough and infact the less light, the less stress on the fish.

Cheers
Steve

I have moved the all my fishes into a QT today. But a couple of them has developed cloudy eyes. Should I apply some med or go a head with the hypo treatment?

kwan said:
I have moved the all my fishes into a QT today. But a couple of them has developed cloudy eyes. Should I apply some med or go a head with the hypo treatment?
The cloudy eye could be from netting damage but may yet clear up without meds. As you replace the water and lower the salinity it may take care of itself. Also be sure to soak the foods in a quality liquid marine vitamin. If it remains or gets worse, treat with Maracyn II at double the dose for 7 days. Be sure to use this as a last resort as the antibiotic will also destroy the biological filter and cause further work for you.

The antibiotic and hyposalinity can be used together if necessary so be sure to start the hypo as soon as possible. If you end up using the Maracyn, add the appropriate dosage to any change water for the 7 day period to maintain the level in the QT. As before, be sure to monitor ph and alkalinity a few times a day, especially while in the process of lowering the salinity to 14 ppt.

Cheers
Steve

Words of warning. Keep a parasitic treatment medication standing by (copper). I am at the tail end of a parasite battle (believe it was velvet) and my fish did not improve with hyopsalinity. I ended up using copper (in a QT) and it cleared them right up. I tried to be conservative and lost 3 fish in the process, none since the copper treatment. Also make sure you have a good copper test kit if you choose this rout.
Good luck, this is beatable. :fadein:

Thanks for that. My fishes have been in QT for a couple of days and I have lost 2 so far. They were both butterflies. Steve was saying hypo and copper should not be used together. Does it mean I would have to bring the salinity back up before applying copper.

kwan said:
Does it mean I would have to bring the salinity back up before applying copper.
Yes but you need to increase the salinity much slower than it was lowered, typically about a week. If C. irritans, the hyposalinity will work just fine if done properly. Amyloodinium ocellatum is best treated with copper from the start. I would not use an ionic copper though as it can be too stressful on most fish. Cupramine by Seachem is one of the better copper treatments available. Just be sure to get their corresponding copper test. A normal copper sulphate test kit will not accurately read the Cupramine.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom