Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have been doing hypo in the QT. The guy at my LFS said to get the clowns that were not showing signs out of there and put them back in the display tank. They are back in the DT now and look great now for a couple days. The butterfly that that caused this in the first place is currently in the QT under hypo. She seems to be doing a lot better. Just seems happier and has not had any signs of ich for a couple days. I'm figuring on leaving the butterfly in QT to assure she is clean and then put her back. The guy at the LFS states I am wasting my time trying to have a sterile tank, that parasites are inevitable. Having your parameters optimal and fish as healthy as possible will eliminate most occurrences of the ich parasite. The store I am referring to is a very impressive shop that is immaculate as far as tanks and all the fish are popping with color and no signs of any stress. The owner has over forty years experience as a diver and building commercial aquatic systems. The systems they have running the store are out of this world. For this hobby, it is a place of awe and quite amazing. I understand it is preferable to have a disease free tank and that sounds wonderful but battling something for months that is going to happen again does seem pointless. Maintaining optimal water conditions and healthy inhabitants feels quite rational. I appreciate all the help here and want to be clear that I am not trying to be impatient, just realistic. Searching the internet on this subject has an immense array of opinions and quite a bit of controversy. I have no interest in opinions but rather facts. It's really easy to get caught up in your hobby, become a genius at it and take it to the extreme. I do it with almost all my interests. There is certainly a science behind this and scientific answers to all its problems. Thanks to all your replies and suggestions and best of luck in the hobby.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well it is a fact that your can have a ich free tank. No amount of stress will cause an ich outbreak in my tank since there is no ich to begin with. It's also a fact that keeping your butterfly in qt and putting your clowns back in the dt that you reintroduced ich into your system.

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Congratulations! I hope one day I have your success.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well I'm going to back off after that post. FYI unless you start qt everything and cure all your current fish you won't have a ich free tank . I'm done with this thread. Thanks.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd be interested in hearing how parasites are inevitable. That just does not make any scientific sense to me. If you have a sterile tank, QT your fish before adding them and maintain a healthy tank as far as parameters, then how are parasites inevitable? If you were put into a sterile environment, there are certain things you would never be exposed to. It would end up being genetics that had the biggest impact on your health.

It sounds like they have convinced you otherwise. Going with that line of thinking will (by its own logic) lead to future troubles. I think it was wise to keep the butterfly in QT, but don't see the scientific logic of pulling out the clowns that were exposed. That just seems impatient. it now seems like there is a good chance that they carried it back into the tank and/or can become hosts to what was still on there. This sort of thing is exactly why people believe it will always be there. The disease was not treated properly, so of course it is still in there. If treated properly, there is no reason.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

No ick in mine ither I qt everything...but looking at the response I don't think your looking for advice I think yur looking for a debate of some sort..... So keep on going to the lfs for all your aquatic info because we all know the guy selling you stuff has better info then the people on hear with absolutely nothin to gain from helping you... Maybe we should all call your lfs and have him send us all his info so we can be as successful as u and him ......
Old 11-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well at least his Lfs will keep getting his business. All he has to do is keep giving bad advice and he'll keep getting business. Should see what other bad advise he gives. Ask him how to get rid of apitasia. Or if those little white snails hitching a ride on the bigger ones are baby ceriths? Never trust anyone who is taking your money. Most people will tell you whatever it takes to get your money. But those on here who have nothin to gain from giving bad advice you choose to ignore? Trust me if they were giving bad advice you would see us stepping up and saying its bad advice.
There are 3 ways to get rid of ich. Only 2 are mentioned because the the third causes too much stress on an already weak fish. And it involves moving the fish to a brand new tank every day or 2 for a few weeks. It involves alot of relocating and cleaning of tanks setting up again. It works but is alot more effort than hypo or copper so it is not commonly done.

Tags
start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com