Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Where'd my Shrimp Go??

Hi Folks,

I have a 30 gal reef tank with live rock, soft and LPS corals and a Percula, Firefish, Tiny Yellow Goby and a Royal Gamma. My clean up crew consists of several hermits, two emeralds, some narcissus snails and a Fire Shrimp and Peppermint Shrimp.

I came home this morning after being gone for two days and it appears my shrimp have disappeared. Yep. Disappeared.

The fire shrimp was on the larger size and no matter where he positioned himself I can always see his white feelers. The peppermint is much smaller, so he could be hiding, but I have never NOT been able to find my Fire Shrimp. It's near impossible for that guy to hide. He molted his entire shell two days ago and has always appeared active and healthy! I'm wondering if he got mixed up on the losing end of my ecotech mp10?

Anyone have thoughts on why two shrimp just up and disappeared?

As always, thanks for your time and experience!

Mike

Old 01-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Whatever happened to'm, that fact that you've got hermits and emeralds means you would see absolutely no remains.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Ray,

I just found what appear the be the front "Pincher" arms of my fire shrimp. One on the sand bed, and one being munched on by a, you guessed it, hermit crab. I guess Ecotech supplied the foam cover for a reason. Lesson learned.

Mike
Old 01-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would not put it past the royal Gramma. They will take care of a shrimp also.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

melosu58,

It's funny you mention that because my Royal Gamma is a bit of a bully when it comes to the hermits and other members of the tank. Fortunately, he doesn't seem too aggressive towards the Percula, Goby or Firefish, but I have considered removing him because of his aggression and my tank is so small.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Mike
Old 01-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I think you shold go with your instinct and get more shrimp again.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yep,

You are right. Not one sign of either shrimp for a couple of days now. I bought one peppermint shrimp and would like to get another shrimp of some kind, I'm just not sure if I want to go Fire or another type.

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 01-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

So my Ecotech power head is a killer, and my Royal Gramma was a bully. So I found that my ecotech was a culprit in at least one of my shrimps deaths, probably two. Basically, I'm an idiot. After adding the supplied foam cover to the power head it seemed to collect quite a lot of debris. So of course I wanted to rinse it off and removed it. Why, what could happen in a minute or two that it might take? Well, my new Peppermint shrimp managed to get caught in the power head. I feel terrible as I committed shirmpicide.

I'll turn it off next time, but feel like a jerk. I guess my cleaner shrimp has the run of the tank for now.

On another note, all of my fish became much more active, paticularly my fire fish, upon the removal of the Royal Gramma (Returned to LFS). I now see my little Yellow Goby and Fire fish out front all the time, where in the past, they seemed to spend most of their time hiding.

At least there's a little good news to go with the bad news.

Good night all,

Mike

Tags
rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com