Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2005, 03:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Which fish?

With the disappearance of my true perc I'm now trying to figure out what to replace him with. The original plan was to add a second clownfish once the purple tang was in place, but now the perc I had remaining is gone too. He really wasn't my favorite fish. He stayed at the top of the baffle all the time. Hardly ever swam in the water column and if there was a better than even chance that the next clowns would act that way I'd have no interest in keeping them.

My experience with a gramma is equally as tainted. I got a sick fish that never got over his shyness and died in QT, likely of Urenoma.

So now what? Given my existing fish list what would you put into the tank?

My tank is reef so I'm not interested in risking an angel.

Some fish in my thoughts are orchid dotty back (or other dottyback), true percs (include sales pitch if you're suggesting these), gramma (again, need sales pitch).

Ideally I'd like something else that uses the water column. I'd also like colors not already in my aquarium (yellow, purple, black/maroon, lt blue, brown)

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 04:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

purple firefish
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=173
this guy was only shy for a week and every since then he has danced all other the place and hist top fin boucing all around and he not much of a bio load and hold his own in my tank with angels and tangs over all a cool fish.

or
court jester
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=164
and this little guy is pretty cool to. he pretty active and usually stays around the coral and live rock picking at alage and somethimes sifts the sand. now he does get chased every once and a while but still swim around

also i have a twin spot gody that neat looking but not all that color full hes a link to him even though he doestn have some of the colors your looking for i think he has great character and the only bad thing he does reorganize my sand bed alot
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=216

good luck with the new fish ya add

Old 04-17-2005, 08:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I second the idea of a purple firefish. Great fish, mine hangs out suspended in the middle of the tank. For a "Where's Waldo" experience, look at the yellow clown goby. They can be found perched on corals and rocks. It is fun to try and spot them.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Ximat
I'll second the Purple Firefish! Mine is soo beautiful! He swims all over the tank!
Old 04-17-2005, 10:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow. Lots of votes for the purple firefish. That's cool. I'll have to research him. Any other suggestions? Our barnacle blenny is great for the "where's waldo" we play that with him every day!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
Old 04-18-2005, 12:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any other fishie thoughts on how to complete my tank? How many more and which fish all together would you put in?

Old 04-18-2005, 12:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I got 2 red firefish, 1 Purple firefish, and 2 scissor goby. They swim all over the tank, especialy during feeding time.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would go with a Flame Angel. Their beauty is captivating. Also, a Leopard Wrasse would be cool.
runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 02:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Let me register a vote for another gramma. C'mon, you give your friends second chances, right? Striking colors, affordable, reef safe, generally hardy (OK, work with me on this), interesting personality, friend of Nemo, etc., etc. Who can resist their large mouth bass-like posturing when another approaches their turf? I'd had great success "coaxing" them to find a home right near the front glass. As long as you can put up with a little sand spit on your live rock, they're great. My 2 cents. Good luck.

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com