white and black ich!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrahamavelar

Aquarium Advice Addict
:confused:today after i did my pwc i noticed that my yellow tang has some little black spots on it, but it seemed to be fine, so i didnt really mind it cuz i taught it might be some sand. a few hours later i went and checked upon it and i noticed that it had a few more and that some of my other fish had the black spots too (clowns) and that my other fish had white spots so i knew that was ich but they dont seem to be scratching, i think its because it just started. so im actually on my way to buy a nother tank because i cracked my qt yesterday, what should i add to it, sand? lr? pvc pipes? or nothing?

For a qt tank, only water and some pvc pipe. Do you have any filter media or sponges in your main tank? If so, you can use them in a HOB filter on the qt.

thanks also what ive done on my dt is i did hundred percent water change well actually im in the process of it just waitin for the ro di water. Also i used some of the main tank water in some buckets so my lr dont die and also in other containeri put in my coral wit the lights on and for medication i used quick cure ich or somethin like that made by api ill post some pics as soon as get home

Your choice of medication was not a good one. Those snake oils dont work IMO. It looks like you did a 100% water change in your main tank? I would not do more than 50% of a PWC. Read these articles so you can better understand the parasite and how to treat it. You might want to really consider some of the good advice that several folks have given you. I`ve watched alot of your threads lately and I`m not seeing that you are. JMO

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site - Reference - Hyposalinity Treatment

Marine Fish Diseases and Parasites

Last edited:
thanks for your help, ive been looking for copper treatments but i havent been able to find it ive gone to 5 or 6 different lfs and they all have told me to use either melafix or pimafis so the only one that i have fouls is the powder api quick ich cure or the kent liquid ich cure and i set my qt tank with only a few pvc fittings, also when i was moving my lr and coral i found two baby fish hey are really small, also i know that after they get healed they have to be for atleast one month in the qt they do i add them slowly or all at once

I dont know why they would suggest melafix and pimafix. They are for bacterial (melafix) and fungal (pimafix) problems. Neither are for parasites. I would suggest Hypo or copper with hypo being the main.

yes you have to treat them in order to make sure that you got rid of the parasite.

no coral does not im also in the proses of treating fish in my main tank for ich but by raiseing the tempreture to 86 degress it stops the ich from reproduecing so basicaly halts the ich in its tracks as ich has sevral stages it attaches to the fish then multiplies then becomes a free floating organism attaching again to the fish i decided rather then use coper or quarantine to raise the tempreture for 3 days in my reef tank thuis way depreiveing the ich of a way to propergate i hope it works i will keep u informed

Nope. Sorry... raising the temp does NOT kill saltwater ich. Please read the links melosu provided in post #5 of this thread - they are the "must reads" for ich.

oh ok thanks, what im going to have to do do coper treatment due that all my fish that actually had ich died and im going to doit for atleast for a few weeks till im sure that the ich died and keep them in observation until the dt gets cured and cycled again

I have to agree. Higher temps will not stop ich in it`s tracks. If anything it will speed the process up but as long as there is a fish host they will continue to thrive.

Back
Top Bottom