White blotches on fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wael El-Dasher

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm treating my fish for Ich with hypo but I noticed that after 1 week that all the fish are spotless so to speak but my pacific blue tang has a different type of white spots. They're much larger and look like blotches rather than the salted look of the Ich. I can't take a photo because that fish is very shy and always in hiding when I'm around.

This is my only thought.... anything like this? I can't tell from the picture is its ON the fish or a discoloration.

img_1289458_0_6d898350b09b7fb3acec5d4af47805f4.jpg

It's different. They're white patches, sort of like Dalmation spots on dogs but inverse in color. They're not round, more like various sizes of oval. They're over the fish body. If you enlarge the image I posted, you can make them out. I've searched online for 3 days now and can't find am image that's similar

Thanks for moving it. I hope someone has an idea what these blotches are and how to treat them. In the photo they look silver, but they're grayish/white. They almost look like discoloration.

Here is what I did so far. I've run this fish thru hypo thinking it had ich, once done, I moved all the fish back into the DT except this one. I started this fish on Methylene Blue/Malachite Green treatment. According to the literature that came with the meds, I should have seen a dramatic improvement in 3 days with some improvement by 1st day. After 5 days I saw no change at all.

I decided to try ParaGuard. So I performed the dip for almost 3 hours (Seachem says 1 hour is enough) and still no improvement. I am not keen on using Copper unless its needed. It's obviously not Ich, and if it were a fungus wouldn't the green malachite treatment yield some visible improvement in 5 days. I stopped that treatment because it seemed like the wrong one. I don't want to needlessly treat a fish.

The LFS keeps telling me it's a discoloration of the fish because it came with 3 other pacific blues and all of them have it.

Is it worth trying copper?

cheers

Wael

Well there was no advice here so I started Cupramine treatment. Managed to get the Cu levels up to 0.5mg but there has been no improvement at all. It's only been 2 days so I'll try for up to 5 days. If I don't see any improvement I'll have to assume it's fungal and can't be treated with Cu. Not sure what else to try other than ParaGuard for fungus.

Back
Top Bottom