Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2003, 03:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Kalkawasser is a supplement some people use in their top off water to supplement calcium and to keep pH stable. I ask because I saw a post on another board where some people who drip kalk with vinegar(to lower pH) were seeing white sponges rapidly growing in their tanks.

Brian

Old 05-20-2003, 04:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

OK cool - I'm glad it's sponge and *hopefully* not something I have to worry about. Thanks guys!

Old 05-20-2003, 09:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to loganizzi
For what it's worth -

I have had something similar on my LR since I first introduced it into my tank. One rock is completely encrusted with this white deposit. It is hard and looks more like a calcium deposit (not that I know what one looks like), or maybe like someone dripped white candle wax all over the rock (but it's hard). I don't know what it is, but it's been on my rock for about 3 months now and hasn't shown any signs of being malicious. I don't think it has changed in size much since I've been watching it.

I've seen references to similar deposits on the web and they thought it was calcium carbonate.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to dantodd
Stepping in late

hmmm... very interesting. I have a ton of white encrustation (is that a word) on some Fiji Live Rock I got from my LFS. I had assumed it was bleached out coarlline.

dan
Old 05-23-2003, 07:16 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

We had that on our rock in the 29, coraline eventually took it over, I just figured it was what the rock looked like. Your before pick looked like it had some growth that maybe was dying off from cycling, maybe that's what the rock looked like after the growth died off? JMO
Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 03:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hello all i am new to the bord so just introduceing myself...
Can i ask, did the rock have coraline on it before it turned "white"? If so how deep was the colour (spelling -from the UK)
also what type of lighting do you use?

Dan
Old 05-30-2003, 05:29 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Most of my rock had/has patches of coraline on it. The particular piece of rock on which the white matter grew had some as well, but it was on the other side of the rock.

My lighting - since I don't have any corals, etc - is just the basic lighting that I got with the hood. I think it's a Power-Glo or somethingl ike that.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:58 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

mmm,
i was thinking it could of bean a lack of molybdenum in the water which can cause corraline to loose its colour and turn white allmost over night.
there is an calcareous algae that is white but i cant remember the name of it at the moment, but to get it you would need good lights and high levels of iron and calcium for it to grow.

so what you are discribeing is a hard white covering on a peice of rock. if this is the case i am at a loss as you dont drip kalk or use addatives.

i dont think it would be a sponge but it dose sound like a calcareous groth of some kind. TBH just keep an eye on the water conditions and if all seem fine i wouldnt worry at the moment. if it starts to spread or water conditions get worse then i would take some kind of action, but im not sure what at the mo..

Danny

Tags
fungus, white fungus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com