white growth on Long Nose Butterfly fin! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac11

Aquarium Advice Activist
My longnose butterfly has some sort of white growth on his pectoral fin. I have no idea what it is, any help? He and my percula clown are the only fish in my tank. I attached a video so you can see. :(

Can you tell us more about the tank, size and current parameters..., how long you've had the fish, if the clown is doing anything odd as well.
If you have ich, usually needing to quarantine and let a tank go fallow for 6-8 weeks so the life cycle of ich can fully run its course and be out of your display. This can then result in treating ich with the method you choose...be it hypo or copper meds in a bare tank.

Its a 55G, reef tank, my tank is only 4 months old. i dont think I could do fallow. I think im just gonna have to keep them in there and treat them with some Ick stuff. I know I cant add anymore fish if I do, which is fine, I enjoy just those two being in there with the corals. I just want my fish to be healthy! And no the Percula Clown is behaving normally. My butterfly has been in the tank for maybe 2 or 3 weeks. there both rather new fish.

All parameters are in check and normal, with the exception of my calcium levels being a bit low yesterday

The size of the tank might be what is stressing out your fish. These guys are big and need room to get around. They need to be in a tank double that size to be able to live happily.
Don't treat your display tank with copper based meds. It will leach into your rock, which will kill corals and inverts.
I'd suggest returning this guy if possible. Not just for his health, but there is also a likelihood he will go postal on corals. These guys can never get coral hungry, but they always seem to at some point and then it is too late...and I want to say I recall you having corals, though I might be wrong with this.

hes only 3 or 4 inches right now, i was planning on going up to a 150 next year. Still no good? and yes i have corals. ahh this is all such a bummer :/

So is there anyway to treat this?
1. I Cant quarantine because of lack of equipment
2. Cant do hyposalinity because I have a reef tank.

Back
Top Bottom