White lips on Yellow Tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blancoh2o

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone seen this before? I think they could be raw from gnawing at the LR, or maybe he got stung a little. He is swimming around as usual, his gills are puffing at normal rates, his color is as vibrant as normal, basically he is a acting just fine. I think he is fine, but it doesn't hurt to ask. :?:

Yep I can see it, it looks to be abrasions/missing scales from pecking at the rock. Something I noticed, which I find infinitely more dangerous to your fish, is that it has a pinched belly. Tangs are constant grazers with a very fast metabolism. A healthy tang is full bodied and fat. You need to feed that fish more and more often. I would suggest dried (non flavored/seasoned and raw) nori. You can either get a veggie clip to put it on or you can rubberband it to a rock.

I thought that he looked a bit too slender too.

I have already been to the lfs and picked up a clip for the nori and other vegis. We make our own nori rolls so we had that on hand. The lfs mentoined borccoli and banana as good things to feed him too.
Thanks for the quick reply!!!!

The brocoli may be fine (I however don't like giving my fish terrestrial foods whenever possible) but I would not put banana in my tank and I do not think the tang would eat it.

Is there anything else I should consider giving him than Nori? He seems to enjoy the Nori, but I am not sure if he needs anything in addition to that. I appreciate your quick responses. I think the tang probably does too.

I just feed my Tang Nori and let him graze for the rest.. he seems pretty fat to me lol... The nori and the flake you feed should suffice pretty well.. You might want to soak the nori in some garlic as a precaution..

HTH<
James

Garlic? James, do you have my work number? Give me a ring if you do, if not I will e-mail it to you. We don't have IM here.

Already called.. LOL Enjoy.. Hope the Tang does better..

James

Hey....I was just noticing how u said that the tang has a pinched belly REEFRUNNER and I was just wondering if this was ok feeding habits for my Kobe (Yellow-eyed) Tang:

Once a day of Variety (Brine Shimp, Sprulina, etc.)
He also grazes on my LOTS (LOL) of algae!

Is this ok? :?: Any reply would be greatly appreciated :wink:

Ig there is enough algae in the tank and your tang is not getting skinny, but is fat and growing...then it is fine.

Another good food for yellow tangs we have found is "Formula Two" by Ocean Nutrition, the frozen herbivore food in the cube pack. The tang really likes it and it's also good for freshwater herbivores too. Just grab a cube a day and toss it in, it has garlic and vitamins in it. The tang likes it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom