Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2004, 02:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

No change in size or color as of last night. Normal behavior and eating habits. I did see the skunk cleaner come up and clean the spot this weekend.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:18 AM   #12
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman26m
I did see the skunk cleaner come up and clean the spot this weekend.
That could actually be part of the problem. IME, it's usually more of a concern with angels and tangs but some fish species are so "needy" they will actaully allow the shrimp clean at an area until it's void of scales and raw.The shrimp could easily be the cause of the damage.

I think it's time to consider getting a QT up and cycled so the fish can recover unhindered. If the problem does not clear up soon, it will most likely develope a secondary infection that you may not catch in time. If I was possitive the cleaner was the issue I'd say remove it but you would be the best judge of that.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-02-2004, 02:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

The cleaner may be the culprit. The goby is the only fish I've ever seen him clean and it's always that spot. I've the goby in a small QT for the moment. I'll give it a few weeks and see how it goes away from the cleaner.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Steve,

The white spot has gotten smaller but there seems to be what looks to me like what a broken blood vessel under the skin looks like. Any ideas?

thanks
Old 10-06-2004, 01:19 AM   #15
steve-s

Red streaks are either the sign of a possible infection or from low pH. Check the pH and in either case do a few good sized water changes with well aged SW. That will reduce the DOC feeding any possible bacterial problem and improve any possible pH problems. Be sure foods are fortified as well. If no improvement after a week or so, you might need to consider an antibiotic.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-08-2004, 02:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Bad news Steve. I came home this morning and where the red spot was is now a 3mm hole in the center of the white patch. I think I'm seeing some lighter patches develope on a couple of other fish in the display tank also. What can I do to save the Goby if possible? My QT isn't big enough for all the fish.

checked pH 2hrs after lights on - 8.2
Old 10-08-2004, 10:46 PM   #17
steve-s

Unfortunately, with the other fish showing similar signs this is starting to sound more like >>Uronema marina<< (PDF file page) which will require the need to QT all your fish.

With the lesion present do not use the Formalin treatment suggested in the article but the others should be fine. Also note, as mentioned in an earlier post by >>Terry B<< if in the early stages (as with your other fish, not the goby) you might be able to treat with Nitrofurazone.

Can you post a pic of the other fish and the goby as well?

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-09-2004, 01:07 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've got a very cheap camera and can't get any close-up, clear pics. This morning none of the other fish are showig any signs anymore. Is there anything I can treat the display with to make sure....I have corals and inverts.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2004, 01:14 PM   #19
steve-s

Unfortunately no. There is no reef safe treatment for this that would not affect either the inverts health or the biofilter.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-11-2004, 11:07 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not what I wanted to hear. I'll hope for the best then.

Thanks Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com