Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2004, 01:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

White patch on Yellow Watchman

I noticed last night that my yellow watchman goby has a large (1/4 in. dia or so) white patch on it's side about 1/8" in. behind it's gill. I've tried getting a pic but I just can't get one close enough with any detail. Any ideas what the prob could be? Only strange behavior is he isn't coming out as often and didn't come out during feeding. He did come out to investigate my hand while moving some rocks. Any help is greatly appreciated. Water param are all normal btw. I'm a week late on my bi-weekly water change as I ran out of salt and haven't been able to get to the LFS.

I also believe I've lost one of my firefish. Haven't seen it for 2 days. While moving some rocks for some frags I moved the rock the hide under to look for him and got bit by the other firefish and snapped at by the pistol shrimp who for some odd reason was in the firefish's hole with him.

Old 09-15-2004, 01:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Anyone?

Old 09-15-2004, 05:07 PM   #3
steve-s

Can you describe the white area with a bit more detail. Smooth, rough looking, simple scale loss. Any redness in the general area or at the fins?

What are the water specs and when was the last fish added? QT'd?

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-15-2004, 09:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

The spot just looks like the color faded from yellow to white. I cannot see a difference in texture from the surrounding normal tissue. No redness that I can see.

Water Specs as of 4/13 were:
temp: 80F
PH: 8.2
SG: 1.023
Amm: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
Nitrate: 9-10ppm

I'm doing a 25% water change tommorrow...the water is aging as we speak.

I don't test for Alk, Ca or phosphates.

Yesterday and today his has started eating very actively again. He is back hanging out in the open again going from rock to rock.

I've definitely lost one of my firefish....been 3 days and no sign of him. I checked all around the tank (doesn't mean he didn't jump, I have a cat) in my HOB filter and skimmer. I've got eggcrate on the top but there are some gaps with around the skimmer and filter. The other firefish is so lonely...he's trying to school with the yellow-tailed damsel.

Thanks
Old 09-15-2004, 10:39 PM   #5
steve-s

Might just be scale loss or possible a "disagreement" with the pistol. I would definately keep an eye on it and be sure you fortify the foods for a time with a good marine vitamin. Beta Glucan could be a good addition. I would prepare enough water for a few water changes over the next week or so. Many minor ailments can often be solved with a few large water changes with well aged/aerated SW.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-15-2004, 10:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK....I'll look at my LFS tommorrow for some Beta Glucan (if they don't have they'll get it for me). So, you think doing my 25% change this weekend and then do 10% changes every other day would be good?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2004, 11:01 PM   #7
steve-s

Your LFS will most likely not have it and may not even know what you are refering to. The best place to look is a local health food store or vitamin section of the pharmacy. The article I linked to above also has some e-store links.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-16-2004, 12:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Great...there's a health food store just down the road from me. I'll stop by tommorrow.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Steve....I found the Beta Glucan after a few trys. A day or two ago I got a really good close-up look at the white patch. It looks as if there are no scales there like a bald spot. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 09-21-2004, 05:25 PM   #10
steve-s

Could be a bacterial problem or as I said something to do with the pistol, hard to say. Keep an eye on it to ensure of no redness or irritation. See what the Beta Glucan does and if there is no improvement you might need to QT and treat with Furacyn (30mg/gal). If you start seeing any progression in the area, treat right away.

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com