White patch on Yellow Watchman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman26m

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed last night that my yellow watchman goby has a large (1/4 in. dia or so) white patch on it's side about 1/8" in. behind it's gill. I've tried getting a pic but I just can't get one close enough with any detail. Any ideas what the prob could be? Only strange behavior is he isn't coming out as often and didn't come out during feeding. He did come out to investigate my hand while moving some rocks. Any help is greatly appreciated. Water param are all normal btw. I'm a week late on my bi-weekly water change as I ran out of salt and haven't been able to get to the LFS.

I also believe I've lost one of my firefish. Haven't seen it for 2 days. While moving some rocks for some frags I moved the rock the hide under to look for him and got bit by the other firefish and snapped at by the pistol shrimp who for some odd reason was in the firefish's hole with him.

Can you describe the white area with a bit more detail. Smooth, rough looking, simple scale loss. Any redness in the general area or at the fins?

What are the water specs and when was the last fish added? QT'd?

Cheers
Steve

The spot just looks like the color faded from yellow to white. I cannot see a difference in texture from the surrounding normal tissue. No redness that I can see.

Water Specs as of 4/13 were:
temp: 80F
PH: 8.2
SG: 1.023
Amm: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
Nitrate: 9-10ppm

I'm doing a 25% water change tommorrow...the water is aging as we speak.

I don't test for Alk, Ca or phosphates.

Yesterday and today his has started eating very actively again. He is back hanging out in the open again going from rock to rock.

I've definitely lost one of my firefish....been 3 days and no sign of him. I checked all around the tank (doesn't mean he didn't jump, I have a cat) in my HOB filter and skimmer. I've got eggcrate on the top but there are some gaps with around the skimmer and filter. The other firefish is so lonely...he's trying to school with the yellow-tailed damsel. :cry:

Thanks

Might just be scale loss or possible a "disagreement" with the pistol. I would definately keep an eye on it and be sure you fortify the foods for a time with a good marine vitamin. Beta Glucan could be a good addition. I would prepare enough water for a few water changes over the next week or so. Many minor ailments can often be solved with a few large water changes with well aged/aerated SW.

Cheers
Steve

OK....I'll look at my LFS tommorrow for some Beta Glucan (if they don't have they'll get it for me). So, you think doing my 25% change this weekend and then do 10% changes every other day would be good?

Thanks

Your LFS will most likely not have it and may not even know what you are refering to. The best place to look is a local health food store or vitamin section of the pharmacy. The article I linked to above also has some e-store links.

Cheers
Steve

Steve....I found the Beta Glucan after a few trys. A day or two ago I got a really good close-up look at the white patch. It looks as if there are no scales there like a bald spot. Any ideas?

Thanks

Could be a bacterial problem or as I said something to do with the pistol, hard to say. Keep an eye on it to ensure of no redness or irritation. See what the Beta Glucan does and if there is no improvement you might need to QT and treat with Furacyn (30mg/gal). If you start seeing any progression in the area, treat right away.

Cheers
Steve

No change in size or color as of last night. Normal behavior and eating habits. I did see the skunk cleaner come up and clean the spot this weekend.

fireman26m said:
I did see the skunk cleaner come up and clean the spot this weekend.
That could actually be part of the problem. IME, it's usually more of a concern with angels and tangs but some fish species are so "needy" they will actaully allow the shrimp clean at an area until it's void of scales and raw.The shrimp could easily be the cause of the damage.

I think it's time to consider getting a QT up and cycled so the fish can recover unhindered. If the problem does not clear up soon, it will most likely develope a secondary infection that you may not catch in time. If I was possitive the cleaner was the issue I'd say remove it but you would be the best judge of that.

Cheers
Steve

The cleaner may be the culprit. The goby is the only fish I've ever seen him clean and it's always that spot. I've the goby in a small QT for the moment. I'll give it a few weeks and see how it goes away from the cleaner.

Steve,

The white spot has gotten smaller but there seems to be what looks to me like what a broken blood vessel under the skin looks like. Any ideas?

thanks

Red streaks are either the sign of a possible infection or from low pH. Check the pH and in either case do a few good sized water changes with well aged SW. That will reduce the DOC feeding any possible bacterial problem and improve any possible pH problems. Be sure foods are fortified as well. If no improvement after a week or so, you might need to consider an antibiotic.

Cheers
Steve

Bad news Steve. I came home this morning and where the red spot was is now a 3mm hole in the center of the white patch. I think I'm seeing some lighter patches develope on a couple of other fish in the display tank also. What can I do to save the Goby if possible? My QT isn't big enough for all the fish.

checked pH 2hrs after lights on - 8.2

Unfortunately, with the other fish showing similar signs this is starting to sound more like >>Uronema marina<< (PDF file page) which will require the need to QT all your fish.

With the lesion present do not use the Formalin treatment suggested in the article but the others should be fine. Also note, as mentioned in an earlier post by >>Terry B<< if in the early stages (as with your other fish, not the goby) you might be able to treat with Nitrofurazone.

Can you post a pic of the other fish and the goby as well?

Cheers
Steve

I've got a very cheap camera and can't get any close-up, clear pics. This morning none of the other fish are showig any signs anymore. Is there anything I can treat the display with to make sure....I have corals and inverts.

Thanks

Unfortunately no. There is no reef safe treatment for this that would not affect either the inverts health or the biofilter. :(

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom