white patches on occelaris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boosted_msp

Aquarium Advice Regular
came home from work to find my new occerlaris with white patches on its sides/ around gills. Newest addition to the tank. Hasn't eatin since being added Tuesday. Parameters are good, amm-0 nitrite-0 nitrate-0, temp 78, salinity 1.024. (Although I think my IO hydrometer is way off and refractometer will be here tomorrow)

ForumRunner_20130621_133336.jpg

Could be Brooklynella. Is there a mucus coating over the whole body? If so...Ideally treat fish in QT...do a freshwater dip and treat with Formalin. Keep DT fallow for 8 weeks, as this parasite needs a host to survive.

I've also heard of stress or poor water quality causing things like this. Any chance there is aggression from other fish?

for the most part the shape. Is constantly changing/ hanging off the fish like goo. I'm assuming its mucus. Rapid breathing. When introduced a blue damsel took part of the occelaris' tail off. But the damsel has been returned to the lfs.

Called every per store within 100 miles, none have formalin. About to do a freshwater dip and place all fish in quarantine.

She died last night. But on a side note, I for my refractometer and my hydrometer was .004 to low. So when I was at 1.026 I was actually at 1.030

Sorry you lost the fish. It does look like a typical case of Brooklynella tho. It is a common disease on wild clowns unfortunately but effects a host of other fish. 2nd bad part is that it takes a while for it to die off from a lack of a host ( As Mr Todd suggested.) If you have other fish in the tank, your tank will remain infected and any new fish under any type of stress will become infected.
You might want to read the following article: Clownfish Disease - Brooklynella Diagnosis and Treatment
When I was importing fish, I gave all our fish a FW dip for 1-2 minutes after acclimation prior to being put into the qt tanks. It was amazing how many "things" we couldn't see on the fish showed up at the bottom of the FW containers.

Hope this helps

Sadly my other fish become infected with it also. Even after formalin treatments the other occelaris died a week later but my sixline and yellow watchman goby pulled through. Tank was already in qt due to ich being brought in on the same fish.

Back
Top Bottom