Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2005, 10:14 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO adjusting your tanks Sg at this point will only stress the other fish making them a possible target for ich. NEVER add salt to a tank with animals in it... And if you do raise it do it over a period of time, several weeks would be best..
UV light will only help with parasites that go through the light so if the Hippo tang has ich it will do nothing for him now. If you can get him out of the tank and into a QT tank that would be the best way to treat him. You can use a liquid garlic like garlic guard sold at the LFS to help, this is not a CURE only helps the immune system.
If you want to do a FW dip read up on this before doing it, there are some good posts on this..
Before getting any more fish read up on the proper way to acclimate fish.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 01:57 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow, Nice topic and it sucks that I missed out. Hope your Hippo is doing better.

In terms of ich, you also have to understand that there are stages of ich. Sometimes you'd see a lot of ich on the fish sometimes around six pm and onwards, then the next morning there aren't much. It doesn't mean it is safe.

You know these ich start out like these eggs or something (I am making terminologies up, sorry), then they hatch and fly around your tank. Then if they find a host, they will attach to it. Usually fish. Then they will burrow inside the fish....skin, fins, gills, anytwhere, eyes, anywhere.

Then they start feeding and sucking the nutrients off of your fish. Then they start growing and they they're visible, like white sugar or salt. There are different forms. There are some that makes your fish look covered with fine salt, there are forms that look like white pimples. Then there are some that you don't even see.

But trust me, they are killing your fish and starving them of nutrients.

Raising the temp just makes the cycle go faster. But it doesn't eradicate the ich.

Raising the sg will only stress out your fish. And there aren't credible tests that really show effectiveness of hypersalinity.

What I did was raise the temp, and lower my SG to around 1.080 from 1.024 in three days. You then wait until the ich almost doesn't show any sign on your fish. Usually in two weeks it will disappear. Then you start counting three weeks. Don't add any other fish at that point. Do decent water changes.

After about 3-4 weeks, if it doesn't show any sign, there might be a possibility that you eradicated the ich.

Hyposalinity is not always guaranteed and there are as much rish there in killing a fish out of stress.

Bringing your salinity back must be way slower than how you lowered your salinity. Ich sucks.

But I was successful at saving my blue hippo. I also fed it really tiny chopped garlic. I would only feed them garlic for a week. Usually every other day. In that way they are so hungry that they would eat the garlic even if the taste sucks for them. This is just to boost the immune system, not necessarily helpful to ich. It will help prevent any further parasitic or bacterial infection that may happen during the stressful hypo treatment.

I really do hope your hippo survived it. But you have to eradicate the ich from your tank.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:49 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

First off if you are talking about using Hypo salinity to kill the ick you have to reduce the salinity slowly and you cannot do it in your main tank as it will kill the inverts in your tank. It must be done in a QT. Also when you see ick spots on a fish and then they disapear that means that they fell off and for each one that falls off 200 more called tomites(I think is the name) are released in your tank and the cycle starts over. It comes back with a vengence. I like the UV but it only kills free swimming parasites that get drawn up in it. The proper way to get rid of this parasite if thats what it is is to QT your fish and leave the main fishless for 6-8 weeks. Good luck

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:36 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

For hypo treatment, you can decrease your SG from 1.020's down to 1.010 or 1.080 in 3 - 4 days no problem. It's the increasing back of the SG that needs to be slower than the decrease.

Assuming that this post was in the fish only post, I had the impression that there weren't any inverts. He had a shrimp, though, so you're right. In general, it is the safer route to use a QT.

BTW, you were right. It is called tomites!
Old 12-02-2005, 02:15 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

tell me the names of most beautiful pics u ever seen...i read it sumwhere tht if a blood pressure patient feeling high or low pressure,and if he keep looking at the fishes in the Aquarium for 20,30 mins.It will bring its blood pressure back to normal.Is it true.
faraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:38 PM   #16
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I dont know but I know that I have high blood pressure and I sit and watch mine for hours and it makes me feel relaxed but wheather my blood pressure has gone down I dont know.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 12-03-2005, 12:28 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Melo, high blood pressure? You don't have to answer this but how oldare you dude?

In terms of the tank, for some reason I feel so relaxed, even while working on it. Water changes to me aren't tasks. They're more like giving care and it's relaxing. Plus, there's this fulfilling feeling of the impression that bad water is being removed and replaced by good water.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:49 PM   #18
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

47 years old. I am also a diabetic. Watching the tank relieves alot of stress

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 12-03-2005, 04:19 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had the same problem with my Hippo When i fisrt introduced him he got some ich i batteled with Hypo and then just got some Skunk cleaner shrimp and it cleared up also when i set up my QT i just took water from my main system
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:13 PM   #20

you can buy liquid garlic extract at the health store.

I use it for my fish and it seems to work great.

Tags
blue tang, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com