Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

white pin point spots on Blue Tang

A few days ago i got a blue tang. now i have noticed some white pin point spots.
my other fish are Yellow Tang, Maroon clown, 2 perculas, fire shrimp and a goby. I don't see this on them just on the blue tang. can someone tell me what this is ?

many thanks

Remo

Old 08-20-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Possibly ich. Blue tangs are very ich prone. I had a blue tang and bought a cleaner shrimp with it. I noticed the white spots the first four or five days, but the next mornings they were gone. I assume that the cleaner shrimp was picking them off. Unfortunaltely, my blue tang had a mishap with a power head. How big is your tank and what are the params?

55 gal cycling. Will be FOWLR.
haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 01:27 PM   #3

its been 3 days since i got him. this morning he has less spots than last night. i have a 125 gallons. temp @ 81.4, sg 1.020, pH 8.4, calcium 425. do you think that the fire shrimp clean him. maybe the UV light ?

Remo
Old 08-20-2005, 01:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't know if a fire shrimp will clean the spots off of him. I never seen my cleaner shrimp and blue tang together, that's is why I assume that is what it was. The UV may help, but again I don't use one so I cannot say for sure. Do you have a QT? How big is the blue tang?

Old 08-21-2005, 12:43 AM   #5

the blue tang is about 1.5 inches. no i don't have a QT. so does mean that the tang came infected or did he get if from my tank,.. is that possible ? why aren't my other fish infected ?

Remo
Old 08-21-2005, 01:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

It sounds like de ja vu for me. I had one the same size. Like I said, I had a cleaner shrimp to clean him up. How long did you acclimate it? Neither my yellow tang or O. clown had spots, just the blue tang. After about three days they stopped appearing on mine. As I said before, blue tangs are very ich prone, they get stressed rather quickly and it makes them very susceptable to ich and other diseases. When I got my blue tang I started adding garlic to their food to help with boosting their immune system. How big is your tank and how much lr is in there? You may want to increase your sg a little. I have heard that high sg kills ich. (I hope somebody else chimes in here, because I am not 100% sure on that idea) I keep mine around 1.024 to 1.025.

Old 08-21-2005, 12:44 PM   #7

I acclimated about 20 minutes. okay now I know more about this fish. is there fish food with garlic or how and what garlic do you add it. what is lr stand for ? ,... to increase specific gravity is to add more salt right ? I have a 125 gallon tank.

I remember reading somewhere about a procedure,.. but I don't know what it cured. if you take a saltwater fish and give it a 2 second freshwater dump it will kill something.

have you ever heard of such a thing ?

Remo
Old 08-21-2005, 01:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

20 minutes is too short. You want to acclimate at least an hour or even two to be safe, especially if you don't have a QT. LR is live rock. I add fresh garlic to my food about once per week. It serves basically as a flavor enhancer to make them want to eat, but it also may help boost their immune system. There are additives at the lfs that you can buy such as Garlic-Guard. 125 gal is plenty of room for a blue tang, how long has the tank been running? What are the ammonia/nitrate/nitrite results. I have never done a FW dip. I have heard that it is 2 minutes, unless the fish is acting funny then it must go to SW quickly. FW dips may remove exterior problems, but if it is ich and it is embedded in the fish, it won't cure him. If you are going to try to increase your sg, use SW to top off the tank, this will cause the sg to slowly rise and not stress the inhabitants too much. I've been lucky enought not to have to deal with ich, and I have heard that higher sg levels will effectively treat it. If you don't have a QT then increasing your sg in the main tank may cause more problems.

Old 08-21-2005, 02:51 PM   #9

yes I have lr. do you brew your own food and add garlic powder ? or can I add garlic powder to the food I am giving them ? at this time I am feeding them formula 2 food. if I get a qt how do I set it up ?

Remo
Old 08-21-2005, 03:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use frozen mysis shrimp, frozen plankton, seaweed selects, and spirunela flakes. I use fresh garlic, I take a clove and crush it. I try to get as much juice as possible and not little pieces of garlic in the food. I'm not absolutely sure of the QT, I don't have one myself. I believe you can just use a tank with a few hiding spots in it, but you have to make sure that the water params are the same in the QT and the main tank. QT is used to seperate the sick fish so if it is ich that you have, it doesn't infect the main tank and it's inhabitants.

Tags
blue tang, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com