white pin point spots on Blue Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

remob

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A few days ago i got a blue tang. now i have noticed some white pin point spots.
my other fish are Yellow Tang, Maroon clown, 2 perculas, fire shrimp and a goby. I don't see this on them just on the blue tang. can someone tell me what this is ?

many thanks

Remo

Possibly ich. Blue tangs are very ich prone. I had a blue tang and bought a cleaner shrimp with it. I noticed the white spots the first four or five days, but the next mornings they were gone. I assume that the cleaner shrimp was picking them off. Unfortunaltely, my blue tang had a mishap with a power head. How big is your tank and what are the params?

its been 3 days since i got him. this morning he has less spots than last night. i have a 125 gallons. temp @ 81.4, sg 1.020, pH 8.4, calcium 425. do you think that the fire shrimp clean him. maybe the UV light ?

Remo

I don't know if a fire shrimp will clean the spots off of him. I never seen my cleaner shrimp and blue tang together, that's is why I assume that is what it was. The UV may help, but again I don't use one so I cannot say for sure. Do you have a QT? How big is the blue tang?

the blue tang is about 1.5 inches. no i don't have a QT. so does mean that the tang came infected or did he get if from my tank,.. is that possible ? why aren't my other fish infected ?

Remo

It sounds like de ja vu for me. I had one the same size. Like I said, I had a cleaner shrimp to clean him up. How long did you acclimate it? Neither my yellow tang or O. clown had spots, just the blue tang. After about three days they stopped appearing on mine. As I said before, blue tangs are very ich prone, they get stressed rather quickly and it makes them very susceptable to ich and other diseases. When I got my blue tang I started adding garlic to their food to help with boosting their immune system. How big is your tank and how much lr is in there? You may want to increase your sg a little. I have heard that high sg kills ich. (I hope somebody else chimes in here, because I am not 100% sure on that idea) I keep mine around 1.024 to 1.025.

I acclimated about 20 minutes. okay now I know more about this fish. is there fish food with garlic or how and what garlic do you add it. what is lr stand for ? ,... to increase specific gravity is to add more salt right ? I have a 125 gallon tank.

I remember reading somewhere about a procedure,.. but I don't know what it cured. if you take a saltwater fish and give it a 2 second freshwater dump it will kill something.

have you ever heard of such a thing ?

Remo

20 minutes is too short. You want to acclimate at least an hour or even two to be safe, especially if you don't have a QT. LR is live rock. I add fresh garlic to my food about once per week. It serves basically as a flavor enhancer to make them want to eat, but it also may help boost their immune system. There are additives at the lfs that you can buy such as Garlic-Guard. 125 gal is plenty of room for a blue tang, how long has the tank been running? What are the ammonia/nitrate/nitrite results. I have never done a FW dip. I have heard that it is 2 minutes, unless the fish is acting funny then it must go to SW quickly. FW dips may remove exterior problems, but if it is ich and it is embedded in the fish, it won't cure him. If you are going to try to increase your sg, use SW to top off the tank, this will cause the sg to slowly rise and not stress the inhabitants too much. I've been lucky enought not to have to deal with ich, and I have heard that higher sg levels will effectively treat it. If you don't have a QT then increasing your sg in the main tank may cause more problems.

yes I have lr. do you brew your own food and add garlic powder ? or can I add garlic powder to the food I am giving them ? at this time I am feeding them formula 2 food. if I get a qt how do I set it up ?

Remo

I use frozen mysis shrimp, frozen plankton, seaweed selects, and spirunela flakes. I use fresh garlic, I take a clove and crush it. I try to get as much juice as possible and not little pieces of garlic in the food. I'm not absolutely sure of the QT, I don't have one myself. I believe you can just use a tank with a few hiding spots in it, but you have to make sure that the water params are the same in the QT and the main tank. QT is used to seperate the sick fish so if it is ich that you have, it doesn't infect the main tank and it's inhabitants.

IMO adjusting your tanks Sg at this point will only stress the other fish making them a possible target for ich. NEVER add salt to a tank with animals in it... And if you do raise it do it over a period of time, several weeks would be best..
UV light will only help with parasites that go through the light so if the Hippo tang has ich it will do nothing for him now. If you can get him out of the tank and into a QT tank that would be the best way to treat him. You can use a liquid garlic like garlic guard sold at the LFS to help, this is not a CURE only helps the immune system.
If you want to do a FW dip read up on this before doing it, there are some good posts on this..
Before getting any more fish read up on the proper way to acclimate fish.

Wow, Nice topic and it sucks that I missed out. Hope your Hippo is doing better.

In terms of ich, you also have to understand that there are stages of ich. Sometimes you'd see a lot of ich on the fish sometimes around six pm and onwards, then the next morning there aren't much. It doesn't mean it is safe.

You know these ich start out like these eggs or something (I am making terminologies up, sorry), then they hatch and fly around your tank. Then if they find a host, they will attach to it. Usually fish. Then they will burrow inside the fish....skin, fins, gills, anytwhere, eyes, anywhere.

Then they start feeding and sucking the nutrients off of your fish. Then they start growing and they they're visible, like white sugar or salt. There are different forms. There are some that makes your fish look covered with fine salt, there are forms that look like white pimples. Then there are some that you don't even see.

But trust me, they are killing your fish and starving them of nutrients.

Raising the temp just makes the cycle go faster. But it doesn't eradicate the ich.

Raising the sg will only stress out your fish. And there aren't credible tests that really show effectiveness of hypersalinity.

What I did was raise the temp, and lower my SG to around 1.080 from 1.024 in three days. You then wait until the ich almost doesn't show any sign on your fish. Usually in two weeks it will disappear. Then you start counting three weeks. Don't add any other fish at that point. Do decent water changes.

After about 3-4 weeks, if it doesn't show any sign, there might be a possibility that you eradicated the ich.

Hyposalinity is not always guaranteed and there are as much rish there in killing a fish out of stress.

Bringing your salinity back must be way slower than how you lowered your salinity. Ich sucks.

But I was successful at saving my blue hippo. I also fed it really tiny chopped garlic. I would only feed them garlic for a week. Usually every other day. In that way they are so hungry that they would eat the garlic even if the taste sucks for them. This is just to boost the immune system, not necessarily helpful to ich. It will help prevent any further parasitic or bacterial infection that may happen during the stressful hypo treatment.

I really do hope your hippo survived it. But you have to eradicate the ich from your tank.

First off if you are talking about using Hypo salinity to kill the ick you have to reduce the salinity slowly and you cannot do it in your main tank as it will kill the inverts in your tank. It must be done in a QT. Also when you see ick spots on a fish and then they disapear that means that they fell off and for each one that falls off 200 more called tomites(I think is the name) are released in your tank and the cycle starts over. It comes back with a vengence. I like the UV but it only kills free swimming parasites that get drawn up in it. The proper way to get rid of this parasite if thats what it is is to QT your fish and leave the main fishless for 6-8 weeks. Good luck

For hypo treatment, you can decrease your SG from 1.020's down to 1.010 or 1.080 in 3 - 4 days no problem. It's the increasing back of the SG that needs to be slower than the decrease.

Assuming that this post was in the fish only post, I had the impression that there weren't any inverts. He had a shrimp, though, so you're right. In general, it is the safer route to use a QT.

BTW, you were right. It is called tomites! (y)

tell me the names of most beautiful pics u ever seen...i read it sumwhere tht if a blood pressure patient feeling high or low pressure,and if he keep looking at the fishes in the Aquarium for 20,30 mins.It will bring its blood pressure back to normal.Is it true.

I dont know but I know that I have high blood pressure and I sit and watch mine for hours and it makes me feel relaxed but wheather my blood pressure has gone down I dont know.

Melo, high blood pressure? You don't have to answer this but how oldare you dude?

In terms of the tank, for some reason I feel so relaxed, even while working on it. Water changes to me aren't tasks. They're more like giving care and it's relaxing. Plus, there's this fulfilling feeling of the impression that bad water is being removed and replaced by good water.

I had the same problem with my Hippo When i fisrt introduced him he got some ich i batteled with Hypo and then just got some Skunk cleaner shrimp and it cleared up also when i set up my QT i just took water from my main system

you can buy liquid garlic extract at the health store.

I use it for my fish and it seems to work great.

Back
Top Bottom