White ring around plating monti

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingusplease

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today I noticed a white ring all around the edge of my plating montipora. I'm not very familiar with sps, however I have heard that exposed skeleton can mean the specimen is dying. Can anyone help me diagnose this development? Thanks very much!

Also, sorry if the pic is hard to see under my moonlight. I'll upload a better one tomorrow, if this one is too hard to discern.

That usually signifies new growth which is the case here from what I can tell

Btw, all params are fine (except for mag, which I don't test for. I have considered it, but never bought the test. On a side note, is testing mag recommended for a tank like mine? 3 JBJ picotope)

Ammo 0
Trites/trates 0
Ph 8.3
SG .26
Alk 13
Po4 0
Calcium 480

New growth out of SPS is usually white. The first time I saw it I was freaked out as well. Here is a great example of the same kind of monti in my tank showing the growth and even what happens when the glass gets in the way.

Good to know! Lol I thought my monti was already dying... Freaked out for a minute!

Interesting -- is the skeletal growth already colonized by polyps by the time it appears white? Looking closely, I cannot discern individual polyps on my monti where there is new skeleton. I'm just wondering what mechanism allows the skeleton to be built before there is significant polyp growth.

The skeleton has to grow before the polyps can form. What do you think houses the polyps?? :)

Lol well there's my answer. I guess I thought the polyps and skeleton grew at the same time. Time to go do some reading on coral skeletons :)

Back
Top Bottom