Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2005, 09:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
White specs on my Coral Beauty Angel (more pics)

Hello.

I got this fish two days ago. One spec turned into three, now today there are 6 specs. Three on the left side, and three on the right side.

At first I did not think it was Ick. Now I am not so sure. Its in the QT now.

I thought it was a fungall or bacterial infection, or possibly a scraping so I have started treatment of PimaFix (anti fungal, anti bacterial) and MelaFix (antibacterial, promotes regrowth of damaged tissue.

Is this Ick? If so, what should I start treating it with?

thanks for your help.

-Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cb_angel_spots.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1528  

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Need a side view pic, but if it looks like salt then it is probably ich. If it's in qt anyways, cupramine or coppersafe will get rid of it.

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Hard to tell Matt.agree with Kat need a side view.
Could be ich, but it could also be lypho.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is a link Matt
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=43
Old 03-18-2005, 09:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

None of my side views came out at all. This is the best shot I got out of nearly 40. (sucks I know, but my camera has a super slow shutter speed. even with the flash.)

It does look like grains of sand. but I have seen Ich, and this looks a bit bigger than that.

The fish is swimming around fine. Right now. SHould I discontinue my current treatment and just use cupramine? or can it be used in conjunction with it? Will copper treat Lypho?

thanks,
-Matt
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Old 03-18-2005, 09:30 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarryshark
Could be ich, but it could also be lypho.
Agreed although Lympho would not typically spread this quickly. It tends to be a bit slower and grows larger rather than appearing as new infections, at least not within 2 days. If you can get a side pic that would definately be a plus.

What are the QT parameters and do you have a refractometer and buffer?

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-18-2005, 09:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check out the link, if its lympho it will clear up on its own.
Sounds (and looks) like it may be that. If it doesn't move or dissapear in a few days, you will know it is lympho
I would just continue the qt period and watch.IMO
Old 03-18-2005, 09:34 PM   #8
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSeason
SHould I discontinue my current treatment and just use cupramine? or can it be used in conjunction with it?
Pimafix and Melafix will not do much except gum up the equipment. I would remove it. As for the copper, hold off for now unless the spots truely appear to be C. irritans related. What type of copper?

Quote:
Will copper treat Lypho?
Nothing will... check the article Kurt linked to.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-18-2005, 09:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

grrr... Ok.

Well my parameters are as follows:

Temp: 80
ph: 8.2
amonia: 0
nitrites: 0
nitrates: 10
SG: around 1.023

Old 03-18-2005, 09:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok,

As you requested, here are some side pics.

thanks for your help on this one.

-Matt

edit: note that the spots are whiter and brighter than what the camera shows. and there are about three more spots on the other side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cb_angel_spots3.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1531   Click image for larger version

Name:	cb_angel_spots2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1532  

Tags
angel, coral, coral beauty, pics, spec

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com