White specs on my Coral Beauty Angel (more pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocketSeason

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello.

I got this fish two days ago. One spec turned into three, now today there are 6 specs. Three on the left side, and three on the right side.

At first I did not think it was Ick. Now I am not so sure. Its in the QT now.

I thought it was a fungall or bacterial infection, or possibly a scraping so I have started treatment of PimaFix (anti fungal, anti bacterial) and MelaFix (antibacterial, promotes regrowth of damaged tissue.

Is this Ick? If so, what should I start treating it with?

thanks for your help.

-Matt

Attachments

• cb_angel_spots.jpg
    cb_angel_spots.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 201
Need a side view pic, but if it looks like salt then it is probably ich. If it's in qt anyways, cupramine or coppersafe will get rid of it.

Hard to tell Matt.agree with Kat need a side view.
Could be ich, but it could also be lypho.

None of my side views came out at all. This is the best shot I got out of nearly 40. (sucks I know, but my camera has a super slow shutter speed. even with the flash.)

It does look like grains of sand. but I have seen Ich, and this looks a bit bigger than that.

The fish is swimming around fine. Right now. SHould I discontinue my current treatment and just use cupramine? or can it be used in conjunction with it? Will copper treat Lypho?

thanks,
-Matt

quarryshark said:
Could be ich, but it could also be lypho.
Agreed although Lympho would not typically spread this quickly. It tends to be a bit slower and grows larger rather than appearing as new infections, at least not within 2 days. If you can get a side pic that would definately be a plus.

What are the QT parameters and do you have a refractometer and buffer?

Cheers
Steve

Check out the link, if its lympho it will clear up on its own.
Sounds (and looks) like it may be that. If it doesn't move or dissapear in a few days, you will know it is lympho
I would just continue the qt period and watch.IMO

RocketSeason said:
SHould I discontinue my current treatment and just use cupramine? or can it be used in conjunction with it?
Pimafix and Melafix will not do much except gum up the equipment. I would remove it. As for the copper, hold off for now unless the spots truely appear to be C. irritans related. What type of copper?

Will copper treat Lypho?
Nothing will... check the article Kurt linked to.

Cheers
Steve

grrr... Ok.

Well my parameters are as follows:

Temp: 80
ph: 8.2
amonia: 0
nitrites: 0
nitrates: 10
SG: around 1.023

Ok,

As you requested, here are some side pics.

thanks for your help on this one.

-Matt

edit: note that the spots are whiter and brighter than what the camera shows. and there are about three more spots on the other side.

Attachments

• cb_angel_spots2.jpg
    cb_angel_spots2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 262
  • cb_angel_spots3.jpg
    cb_angel_spots3.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 141
Were you are pointing, I don't see any ich. I see spots in other areas, but that could be on the glass.
Wait and see what Steve thinks, but that really doesn't look like it.

I looked at all the pics again, I really think it is lympho.
Watch her for a couple day and stand by with the copper just in case. If the spots seem to fall off and more appear, then treat.
In the mean time watch and concetrate on keeping water quality high.

RocketSeason said:
grrr... Ok.
No doubt... LOL :p

At this point I'm not inclined to think C. irritans although it could definately turn out to be. I agree with Kurt, watch and wait. It won't hurt the fish to wait a few days. It would be unmistakable one way or the other eventually. In that time though I would suggest a few good sized water changes with well aged/aerated SW and run some carbon to remove the other med.

Cheers
Steve

well this morning, about 14 hours after the pictures were taken, the 2 specks near his head on both sides of his body have disapeared (under two days of their arrivial). They have been replaced by 3 specks on his underside and one on the tip of his...hand fin...thingie. (boy I sound like an idiot) There is a speck on his dorso fin that has been there for a full day now and the specs near the top of his body (pointed out in the photograph) has been there for 4 days now.

total number of specks today:about 7
total number yesterday: 7
total number the day before that: 3
and the day before that: 1

I am really confused. Lympho doesnt move around correct? And Ich doesnt have a cycle that short? I have usually seen Ich just go "BANG" and take over a fish in like a day or two. This seems different. Could it be Ich and the fish is just doing a great job of fighting it?

also, they seem to like to cluster in a small group of two so what looks like one, is acually two side by side. (as seen in the previously published photographs.)

-Matt

Boy the photo didn't look like it, but from what you descibe it sure sounds like it.
Lympho doesnt move around correct?
Not like that.
And Ich doesnt have a cycle that short?
could have parasites in different stages of the life cycle.
What are your plans to treat if it is ich?

I have never had to treat Ich, Marine or otherwise, in all of my 15 years in the fishkeeping hobby. I guess I was lucky for all of those years. But now that I have a Saltwater tank....sigh....

I am going to wait at least another day. We will see what happens.

Should I be using Copper Safe to treat it?

thanks,
-Matt

no new specks today, and the first speck is seeming to be fading.

He seems to be a bit more skiddish today. but that could just be me.

Back
Top Bottom