White spot ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigdon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone. I moved house and my fish became very stressed and caught white spot. My params are all good as I have tested my water and had my lfs do it for me too. I lost 2 common clowns a coral goby a yellow tang and my false gramma. I have 2 blue chromis and 2 pajama cardinals that all had visible white spot as well but have survived it has now gone from their skin and they now seem fine. I upped my temperature to 30 deg c and have kept them fed and done water changes. This has all happened over the last month. I haven't used any chemicals as I have crabs and sea stars too so don't want to hurt them. My questions are how long do I keep the temp raised and when could I start to restock.

Thanks in advance for any help

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi everyone. I moved house and my fish became very stressed and caught white spot. My params are all good as I have tested my water and had my lfs do it for me too. I lost 2 common clowns a coral goby a yellow tang and my false gramma. I have 2 blue chromis and 2 pajama cardinals that all had visible white spot as well but have survived it has now gone from their skin and they now seem fine. I upped my temperature to 30 deg c and have kept them fed and done water changes. This has all happened over the last month. I haven't used any chemicals as I have crabs and sea stars too so don't want to hurt them. My questions are how long do I keep the temp raised and when could I start to restock.

Thanks in advance for any help

Raising the temp only serves to speed up the life cycle of the parasite to better facilitate a rapid "cure" when medicating. If you are not medicating the tank then you are risking an even bigger outbreak within days.

When you see cysts on the fish, that is the adult stage, when they drop off that means they have released their progeny into the water column and have completed the life cycle. It is only when the parasite spawn are free swimming in the water column that medications work, hence raising temps to speed up the process.

My suggestion is to quarantine the remaining fish and treat them, then not return them to the main tank for at least 6-8 weeks, preferably 10 to allow the parasites to die off without any hosts in the tank.

I haven't got a quarantine tank though

Freshwater ich is different to salt water ich, raising the temp does not help salt water...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've had good results dosing the tank with Garlic Extreme by Kent and putting on the food. It will help boost the immune systems of the fish allowing the fish heal it's self. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom