White Spot problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tatsykate

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please does anyone have any advice. i got a anenome for my tank and it did not do well so i returned it to the shop. Consequently my fish got white spot, was told to treat them with an oxygen treatment but my orchid dotty back died :(, then my flame angel died :(:(, got more advice from shop and am now treating them with Cuprazin, but my Royal Gramma has died this morning. i had to return my shrimps and snails back to the shop and its all been a nightmare and very sad. i am left with two clowns and i yellow tang and one wrasse. Water tests all perfect. Anyone have any advice??

what size tank is this? how long has it been up? what are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate)?
what is your water change regimen?

The tank is around 60 litres, it has been up and running for three months and everything was perfect. Ammonia is 0mg/1, Nitrate is 5 and Nitrite is 0.3mg/1. i did a water change 2 weeks ago and regularly top up with pure water.

Thanks Mike, the prevention article was very interesting, especially as this all happened after i bought two snails!

Any detectable ammonia or nitrite is not perfect water parameters.
Do you do a PWC every two weeks?
How many litres are you changing during your PWC?

You should be doing a 10% PWC every week or 20% every other week.
Are you using RODI water for top off and mixing salt, or tap water?

The snails most likely were NOT the cause. You were seriously overstocked with the number of fish you had in that small space. A pair of clowns, maybe. A yellow (or any) tang, no way. And definitely not an anemone.

Return the tang and probably the wrasse. What type is it?

You need to check a site that lists minimum tank sizes for fish and adult size that a fish will grow to. Sites like liveaquaria.com are very useful for that information.

cmor is correct. i'm afraid you need a much larger tank, or a lot less fish!
you need to research each fish you are interested in as well. it's not surprising that you had parameter issues and deaths under the circumstances.

Thank you, i followed the advice completely of the supplier where i bought the tank about which fish i could have and how many, the wrasse is a cleaner wrasse and not very big. i will start doing some research.

that supplier is not truthful to you, nor do they care about their livestock, if they are telling folks to put tangs in nano tanks.

Back
Top Bottom