Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2005, 12:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

white spot (qt)

i hav a snowflake,2gobies,blue-tang,chromie,banana wrass,2clown, will vertaid (malachite green) be bad 4 them and what if i put it in my display tan will it effect my corals and star as i dont have another qt 4 a couple of days or should wait 4 another qt .thanks in advance

Old 05-29-2005, 02:02 PM   #2
steve-s

Malachite green is nasty stuff, also quite ineffective against C. irritans. More often than not it's a miss treatment. Some inverts will tolerate it but there is a good chance you will lose some, corals are not going to like it at all. Depending on the coral species you have, some may not survive it.

Depending on the severity of the infestation, you can easily wait 4 days. I would suggest however you get some sort of seeding material going in the main for bacterial colonization. If you already have a HOB filter or a few bioballs, they will help immensely.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=17

Once the quarantine tank is set up, fill with water from the main tank, add the biofiltration and get the temp stable. Once accomplished the fish can be transfered quickly. Choose a more appropriate treatment though. If the eel is part of the problem, <<hyposalinity>> must be used. If the eel is not to be treated, (eels being highly resitant unless a heavily infested tank), you can opt for a copper based treatment instead. Hyposalinity is still the most tolerated of any treatment method and should be the preference. Any treatment chosen though should be performed in a QT environment.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-30-2005, 08:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

i waited the 4 days there fish r in qt but i left my snowflake in the main i know i stressed him cause he has only eat'nonce since its been about 3 weeks and he still wont eat is ther anything i can do 2 get him 2 eat i've had him 4 about 8 months he normaly eats good i dont wont 2 looose him.ive heard there is stuff 2 put in 2 make fish hungry is this true. i tried fresh prawn wich he normaly takes and white-bait he takes acasionaly also fresh baby octopuc and mussles he just turns around and leaves it 2 go off
4ft tank 45kg LR- corals-torch coral,button corals,6 fuzzy mushrooms,18 mushrooms,toadstool,platecoral,golf-ball, cricket-ball,sponge and a few trees.fish-snowflake eel,blue-tang,chromie,halchoeres chrysus(banana-wrasse),2 gobies.inverts-2 stars,2 hermit-crabs,anemone-shrimp and a few snails
jayfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:24 PM   #4
steve-s

How did you stress the eel other than catching the fish to transfer over to the QT?

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-02-2005, 09:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

i have about 45 kilos live rock and i had to remove most of the rock to catch the fish. i left some in but he didnt like it he thrashed around the tankm when he calmed down under little rock i vacuumed the tank as it was dirty from under the rocks, at one point he tried to jump out of the tank. After i put the rock back in he curled up in a hole. He still moves but not much and he wont take anything we tried to feed him
Old 07-02-2005, 01:57 PM   #6
steve-s

Try being patient and carefully/gentley continue to offer the eel foods. Once their environment gets turned upside down like that it can stress them quite severely. You might also try soaking the foods in a drop or two of garlic extract, it can be a powerful atractant. Generally speaking this will usually occur in more mature adult eels. They do not travel well and do not take kindly to disruptions of this kind.

You might also try a few water changes. If there are no inverts of any kind, you can also lower the salinity a few points.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-05-2005, 05:45 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

ive been trying 4 a few days soaking food in garlic he seems 2 be liking the smell of it but still wont take but he is more active i geuss i have 2 be patient
Old 07-05-2005, 04:41 PM   #8
steve-s

Have you tried altering the food types? Any live marine feeders available at your LFS?

Nutrition at this point isn't too relavent though, getting the animal eating again is more important. Once the eel is back to eating, then worry about nutritional value. For now focus on varying the food types.

Are you able to lower the salinity?

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-08-2005, 12:56 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

no that would effect the coral and inverts, I put in a couple of hermit crabs, and he is not interested in live fish. I have been trying to find glass (ghost) shrimp that i used to feed my lion to no avail. I tried yabbys (freshwater crayfish) and he doesnt go for them they actually walked right past him, i have tried different types of fish, whole bait fish and fresh fish from the fish market, also fresh prawns (shrimp) peeled and unpeeled also baby squid, and muscles. I am now soaking his food in garlic before trying to feed him and everything else in the tank is coming out for him, he just doesnt seem too hungry. He did however become more active when i put in the garlic soaked food so we backed off, left the room and came back to see the starfish, snails and crabs sharing the fish.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:43 PM   #10
steve-s

I'm afraid there's not much else I can suggest. Eels can be rather tricky IME, especially adults as I said earlier. They stress rather easily and it can often invoke a very strong disinterest in food.

Quote:
He did however become more active when i put in the garlic soaked food so we backed off, left the room
Keep in mind eels have very poor eye sight. You will have much better success gentley wafting the foods near the eeel via the use of a feeding stick. You just need to be extra careful so you don't startle the eel. If foods are placed freely in the tank, your chances of success will be rather slim.

Just keep at it and keep your fingers crossed.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
spot, white spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com