Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

White spot question

I had bad white spot and it killed all but two fish. Those two fish didn't even get white spot where as all other fish had it badly and died no matter what I done to help, I didn't have a quarantine tank and copper wasn't an option. I tried oodinex but all that was good for was dyeing my clear silicone green. Now the remaining two fish seem fine with no spots how long would you leave the tank before adding any new fish. I was thinking 8 weeks minimum. I have also started an tmc ozone as this should help in future with parasites.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Even though your two fish show no signs of ich they can and will carry the parasite - unless you leave your tank fallow (fish less) for at least 6-8 weeks any new arrivals will be vulnerable. Best to fallow and QT new fish. Only copper or hypo cure ich, any other so called ich medications don't work I afraid...

Old 02-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

How about a fresh water dip even with no spots
Old 02-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

A freshwater dip in my opinion does nothing but stress the fish. It is useful if the fish is covered in ich as it will cause them to drop off but thats about it.

As stated, the best and only way to get rid of ich and be sure of it is hyposalinity or copper in a separate tank. You dont have to go crazy with another tank either, just a heater and some sort of filter would be fine. No rock or sand is needed. It can be done very cheaply if you look around.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro

I too agree that fw dips dont do anything but stress out a fish. IMO not advisable.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
question, spot, white, white spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com