Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-30-2005, 01:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
White Spots on Fins (Coral Beatuy)

1. How long have you had the fish?

--4 days

Do you know if it was wild caught, or tank raised?

-- Not sure, purchased online. Can they tank raise Coral beauty?

2. How long has the fish been in the tank?

-- 4 days-did not QT the fish. Drip meathod acclimation

What are the tank mates?

1 Yellowtail blue damsel
1 Dottyback

Any aggression?

-- no

3. Is the fish eating?

-- yes

If so what does it eat?

-- Picks algae from the rocks, flake (Gonna get some angel food today as well)

4.What are the water parameters?

PH-Between 8.0 and 8.2

7.SPG? (actual numbers please: posting high, average or normal is not helpful) What saltwater test kit are you using?

Aquarium Pharm Saltwater Master

5.Is the fish showing any physical signs of disease, grain of salt size spots, discoloration, ragged fins, misting or spots on the fins, cuts, cloudy eyes, etc?

-- 3 pinhead whitespots on fins only-not evidence on Gills. Color is great, eyes look good.

6.Is the fish "flashing" (scratching or rubbing on rocks, decorations or substrate)?

-- No

7.How is the fish acting? Is it swimming around, or just hovering in one spot or corner of the tank?

swims around, picks at LR for Algae. Looks good overall

8.Did you use quarantine?

If so for how long and did you have a need to treat for any ailments? Is it in qt now?

Are you currently treating with any medication(s)?

9.Describe in detail how the fish was acclimated.

Modified drip

float bag for 30 minutes. Open bag and "drip" 1 tablespoon of tank water ever 10mins for 2 hrs.

10.What size system? What type of filtration do you use? Do you have any live rock or sand?

New Protein Slimer (1 week old) Added weekend before I got theCoal Beuty
45# LR
30# LS
2 55w PC

11.Do you use any additives? Have you used any sort of meds in the main tank?

Added "Cycle" by Nutrifin. 1/2 dose for the size of the tank used onl;y when adding new fish.

Should I be concerned? Fish seems to be fine expect for the 3 small white spots on the fins. From what I have read, Ich and other parasites attack gills first. Fish swims and feeds fine. fish does not rub up agaisnt rock. Color is good. I am a bit confused. I do not have a QT tank but can create one if needed. Can I treat in the tank. It is a FOWLR?

60gal reef in progress
75lbs Live Rock
40lbs Live Rock
AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
Marineland penguin HOB Filter
4x65w PCF

1 - Percula, 1 - Blue-Yellowtail Damsel, 3 - Green reef Chromis

Rose Annenome; Anchor Coral
john0087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:04 AM   #2
Re: White Spots on Fins (Coral Beatuy)

Originally Posted by john0087
I do not have a QT tank but can create one if needed. Can I treat in the tank. It is a FOWLR?
You should create one. Having a QT is one of the best first steps when introducing any new life to the display tank. Your angel may have C. irritans but at this point it's unclear but best to be prepared. You cannot effectively treat in the display tank without killing everything else along with it.

Keep watching the "spots" that are there now to see if they fall away and come back or additional ones apppear. If so, you will need to treat with either copper (preferabley Cupramine) or hyposalinity if you have a refractometer.

From what I have read, Ich and other parasites attack gills first.
Not so actually, at least not with C. irritans. Most parasites goal is the gill but it usually begins on the body of the fish itself. It isn't until a few life cycles of the parasite have passed that the theront density will have allowed a heavier migration into the gill enough to cause labored gilling.

coral, eat, fins, white spots

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com