White Spots on Frogspawn Sick or Nudibranchs??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatsfishy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have a frogspawn that has four heads two of which have white spots. They are mixed pink and green heads that open about 1/4 to about a 1/3 during the day the pink seem to open more that the green. Salinity, temp, nitrates and ammonia all within normal parameters. I've had the frogspawn at least 3 months. Diped the frogspawn in Lugols solution just in case.

The only variables I can think of as we add current once in awhile but the jet is no where near the frogspawn, found a nudibranch a couple weeks ago an removed it.

Any advice is appreciated, attached is a pic.

Attachments

• photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 219
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 196
  • photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 166
I don't see any white spots. What are your current parameters? How long have you had that LED lighting and what wattage is it?
My first thought was that you don't have nearly enough live rock in the tank.
My second thought was that you don't have nearly enough flow either.
Thirdly, that rabbit fish doesn't belong in that tank, but i don't think that has anything to do with the frogspawn.

Re: White Spots Frogspawn

Thanks Doug, perhaps we can say white areas with a little bit yellow.

I've had the LED from the start of my tank it's a Marineland 1305 lumens LED. 10,000K 1 watt LED with Lunar settings.

You are right I don't have enough live rock, working to slowy add more. Do you think it would affect the Frogspawn? I've added more flow didn't seem to do anything.

Why does a virgate rabbit not work?

The dimensions of your tank aren't ideal for a fish like a tang or rabbit. That rabbitfish needs a much larger tank with plenty of swimming room and rock to graze on.
The fixture is definitely underpowered as well. Especially for a tank that deep. That looks to be close to 30" top to bottom.
I see a single power head in the tank. These corals are all from shallow reefs. Their ideal environment is one of random turbulence. Flow is of major importance when corals are concerned.

adding uncured rock could negatively effect corals and fish if it's got enough die off on it.

Thanks Doug, I realize it's not ideal this is my first tank. Do you know what the white spots are? I do randomize current I understand that I need at least 55 gal, for the rabbit.

All the dialogue to me doesn't identify what is the whit spot is, I'm certainly appreciated for the feedback as you are the only one that has responded.

I'm think of creating a 10gal QT tank but would like to know how I can make this tank work. I've experienced what is ike to add uncured rock so I will be adding at 1-2bls at a time. Hopefully I will stand up a QT tank for new rock and what not.

Thanks again.

I just read a minimum of a 100 gallon tank for that fish. It gets to be over a foot long.
Anyway, as I said earlier, I don't see any white, or white and yellow. I'm sure they're just tube worms and/or creatures that construct calcium based dwellings. have you tried to knock them off? If they are hard, they aren't going anywhere. Nothing on the actual, skeleton is going to hurt that coral. the actual flesh is deep inside and unless the predator in question is on the flesh, you don't have to worry about it.

about the QT tank- you want a rock curing tank, not a QT tank. Just put the rock in it with a heater and power head and wait. a couple weeks it's good to go.

Thanks Doug I appreciate the input. I'm glad to hear that you feel that there is nothing to worry about. Thanks again.

FYI I have - 1 virgate rabit, 1 mystery wrasse, 1 maroon clown, 2 firefish, 1 green bubble tip, 1 frogspawn, 1 red mushroom colony, 1 blue/purple mushroom colony, 1 zoa colony, 1 yellow watchman goby, 1 tiger pistol shrimp, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 brittle star, 6 hermits, 1 emerald crab, bunch of turbo snails, and other snails..in about 40-45 gal tank. I think I maxed out.

thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom