Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2003, 03:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

white spots on my nemo

Hi,

I just noticed that my new nemo has a white spot near its fin. Is this something i should b worried about? If so what can i do to get rid of the white spot?

Thank you.

Old 12-30-2003, 09:49 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Is this a single white spot? How long have you had the fish and when do you recall seeing this spot for the first time?

If its just a single white spot I would not be to worried yet. Please post your water peramiters.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 11:11 PM   #3

Well she has one white spot just below her fin prob the size of one of her eyes, she also has a little pin prick white spot on the other side of her body.
I just got my fish 2 days ago from the fish store. U see my fish was sick before because my water wasn't rite, i had high levels of ammonia so i gave my fish back to the fish store to look after for about 4 weeks till i got my water right. I've only got a small tank about 30liters its a aqua one tank 126.
I first started noticing the white spot when i got her. So i guess my nemonemo got the white spot during her stay at the fish store.Do you think its white spot disease or fungi? I'm a bit worried. I've asked around other fish store and they seem to give me different opinions. One person even recomend me buying this bottle of garlic they had, they said it will help fight off the infection. But the bottle doesn't say anythinh about that.
I hope you can help me. I got my water tested before i took my nemo home and its fine.

thankyou
Old 12-31-2003, 11:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

May be it is ich that your nemo is developping?
It usually comes from poor water quality, as Fish freek said you should post yur water parameter.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:51 PM   #5

Hi,

how do i measure my water peramiters? Is that measurinh PH level, ammonia etc? I don't think its my water that caused my nemo to get that white spot cause she had the single white spot when i took her home.

thank-you.
Old 01-01-2004, 05:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yep You need to measure your Amonia, Nitrite and Nitrate as well as your Ph and your SG.

Good luck!
Old 01-02-2004, 12:50 PM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
she had the single white spot when i took her home.
That would be one sign not to buy a fish. If they show any appearance of improper health, it's best not to purchase them. Setting up a proper <<quarantine tank>> to introduce all new arrivals is your best bet in ensuring the health of your current and future livestock in the main display tank. Since it has been about 5 days since the clown was purchased, the one spot should have made some progress by now if a parasite problem.

Have you noticed any changes as yet?

Quote:
Well she has one white spot just below her fin prob the size of one of her eyes
This may also suggest the presence of fugus or lympho instead of ich or the like. The "spot" would not get that large if one of the more common protozoan parasites unless possibley an ulcer from brooklynella.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-04-2004, 07:31 AM   #8

Hi,

My ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph are all good. no signs of ammonia or nitrite in my water.
Its been 7 days now and the 2 white spots haven't dissapeared. I however noticed another tiny little white dot developing, so in total now she was 3 white dots. I also noticed that below the fin her belly is kinda big (is the belly near the fin?)..mayb she is pregnant? I just purchased Cuprazin (by waterlife) used for treating whitespot & fungus. I haven't used this as yet as i would like to know if this product is good and should i use the product now or wait a while to see if anymore white spots develop? If i use this product and she doesn't have white spot or a fungus will it make it worse for her? the other nemo does not have any white spots. I don't have a quarantine tank should i set one up to cure my nemo that has the white spots? or can i cure her while she is with her partner?
I only have the 2 nemos in my tank nothing else.

Thank-you
Old 01-04-2004, 08:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to micaheli Send a message via AIM to micaheli Send a message via MSN to micaheli Send a message via Yahoo to micaheli
Nemo?

I wonder how many clownfish are now named Nemo, or Marlin. Every time I go to a pet store it seems that they aren't referred to as Clownfish any more but as "Nemo's".. Same with "Dory's" and "Bubbles".. etc... Not sure its a good thing or a bad thing. Hehe.

Personally, I like names like "Krusty" or "Bozo" for a perc. Hehe.

--Micah
Old 01-04-2004, 02:01 PM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Its been 7 days now and the 2 white spots haven't dissapeared. I however noticed another tiny little white dot developing, so in total now she was 3 white dots.
Fairly sure this is not ich or the like then. Do the spots appear like fuzzy tufts of cotton or hard and lumpy?

Quote:
I also noticed that below the fin her belly is kinda big (is the belly near the fin?)..mayb she is pregnant?
Keep very close watch on this as it may be an internal bacterial infection. Does the clown eat well and have you noticed it pooping?

Quote:
I just purchased Cuprazin (by waterlife) used for treating whitespot & fungus. I haven't used this as yet as i would like to know if this product is good and should i use the product now or wait a while to see if anymore white spots develop? If i use this product and she doesn't have white spot or a fungus will it make it worse for her?
I have personally never seen this product before but from what small bit I could glean it is a copper based med? Could you read the bottle and tell me the active ingredient list? If a fungal and internal bacterial problem, you will need to treat with something that contains nitrofurazone

Quote:
the other nemo does not have any white spots. I don't have a quarantine tank should i set one up to cure my nemo that has the white spots? or can i cure her while she is with her partner?
I only have the 2 nemos in my tank nothing else
After 7 days, more reason to think it is not protozoan but rather one of the other two I mentioned. Even if the only two fish it is still very important not to treat in the display tank. The meds needed will also destroy you biological filter that keeps your NH3, NO2 and NO3 in check. Any copper based meds will kill all the fauna and prevent future additions of sessile and moblie inverts.

Quarantine tanks need be nothing special and are relatively inexspensive to set up. Read the article <<here>> for some easy to use set up tips.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
white spots

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com