White spots on puffer! Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colie

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412275699.716376.jpg

Thinking he has some sort of infection. I've never dealt with ich but I thought that was more small spots. Could this be ich? What should I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

really cant see nothing in pict
but are you sure it's not sand my puffer loves to sprawl around in the sand and he wears a lot of it lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412302774.072078.jpg
Here's another pic. It's getting worse every day. Definitely not sand

Your puffer is definitely not well. The spots could very likely be ich, but the cloudy eye is another indicator of stress and illness.
How long has the tank been set up? How big is the tank? How long have you had the puffer in the system? What are your current parameters...keeping in mind that 'good' doesn't help us help you.

I should add that the second picture is pointing me to an issue with parameters. Can't tell if it is cyano or dinos...but we can get there. This makes we believe that you are having issues with parameters in the system. Giving us your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate will most likely point out the issue in the tank. You will need to do water changes with ro/di water to get these parameters in check so your puffer can even begin to recover into a healthy life.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412305105.090405.jpg

So I just tested the water and everything looks pretty good. The ph seems higher then normal at 8.4 but nitrite nitrate and ammonia are at 0. The tank is fairly new. It was fully cycled and the blue spotted Toby was added around August.22 it's 80 gallons and he's the only guy in there right now. Didn't want to add too many too fast. I have been seeing diatom blooms here and there and some red and green algae but I change the water 10% once a week and test regularly and my water params have always been good.

looking at that last pict thats not ich maybe velvet he needs to be qt immediately and treated

He's in there alone, I did 2 water changes in the past 3 days and shut off the day lights so he's under actinics only. I have some mardel copper safe which I've never used before because it freaks me out but would you recommend that I use it now?

There's no invertebrates besides a couple of mushrooms that came on the rock

I would use a qt tank , never add copper in display tank , it will ex-orb into the rock and render the rock useless not letting anything grow on it , especially if you plan on growing coral

Thank you:) that's what I did. I had a little 15 gallon with a couple of crabs and peppermint shrimp so I did a swap and put the puffer in there and put the crabs and shrimp in my other 100 gallon tank and put the meds in the 15gallon. I'll just use that as a hospital tank from now on.

Back
Top Bottom