White spots on tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I'm totally confused, I have this Blue hippo (regal), or Dori if you want to go that far. :roll: , anyway, I noticed some spots on it so I started getting things set up for a QT, however I got side tracked (not a good thing I know) and didn't get the QT setup yet, it's been 2 weeks, the spots havent changed, moved or anything. She's not flashing, unless you call an ocassional itch flashing, if that's the case then I have fleas :roll: , eating well, none of the other fish seem to have any spots, these spots don't look like "grains of salt" instead they look like they are "part of the skin"?

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is this: Could this be a blemish on the fish (kinda like a freckle on us)?

justmy2cents said:
it's been 2 weeks, the spots havent changed, moved or anything.
I guess what I'm trying to figure out is this: Could this be a blemish on the fish (kinda like a freckle on us)?
Two weeks and the "spots" are unmoved/unchanged would not suggest a parasite really. A skin anomoly could be the more likely possibility although bacterial or fungal problems should change in size at least.

I know I'm dreaming but any chance of a pic?

Are the "spots" localized to one area of the fish or haphazard? What do you feed and how often/how much water do you change? Chemistry and water specs?

Cheers
Steve

I'll try to get a picture but my camera is not the best for this application, the spots are as you put it "haphazard" I feed OSI flake food every day, most of the time with garlic.

sg 1.025
ammonia 0
nitites 0
nitrates 10
ph 8.2

justmy2cents said:
the spots are as you put it "haphazard"
So not located in the general facinity of the face or along the middle running front to back?

I feed OSI flake food every day, most of the time with garlic.
Any grazing foods? This is very important with this fish.

Where does it sleep at night?

Cheers
Steve

Oh yea, I feed nori every other day, the blue and yellow tang make short (and I do mean short) work of it.

It sleeps behind the overflow box most of the time, I have found it once in the rocks but not very often, mostly behind the overflow box. Never did figure out this one. :roll:

justmy2cents said:
Never did figure out this one. :roll:
As far as they are concerned if the fish can't see you, then you can't see them. :p

Check the area of the overflow for protrusions. Calcerous growths, spirorbids and the like.

Cheers
Steve

Check the area of the overflow for protrusions. Calcerous growths, spirorbids and the like.

No protrusions that I can find but the whole thing is covered insode and out with coraline algea.

Back
Top Bottom