White Stains on Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lobo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I woke up this morning and found white stains on my Live Rock. What could it be?

TomStav said:
You should post some pics if you can

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Here are some pics

Attachments

• image-981550095.jpg
    image-981550095.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 146
  • image-2449300905.jpg
    image-2449300905.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 137
  • image-4066878130.jpg
    image-4066878130.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 155
As you may see it looks like if bird poop has stopes on the rock...

Attachments

• image-971299221.jpg
    image-971299221.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 131
  • image-3026045757.jpg
    image-3026045757.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 135
melosu58 said:
Did you just add the rock to your tank? Also could it be some snail eggs?

Tank has been running for almost 2 months. They look like stains or paint I havnt seen snail eggs before but think they are eggs...btw I have 4 Nassarius snails, 2 clowns and yesterday I added a peppermint shrimp and a rl hermit crab

Usually when new rock is added the coralline that was on the rock will bleach but then come back. It is very possible that they are snail eggs. Esp. if they are in bands.

melosu58 said:
Usually when new rock is added the coralline that was on the rock will bleach but then come back. It is very possible that they are snail eggs. Esp. if they are in bands.

I went looking for pictures of Nassarius snail eggs on google and it doesn't even looks close to my stains... What else could it be? I also did a 50% water change yesterday because my nitrates where high (40 ppm). They look like paint or like if a bird has dropped poop on the rocks...

The white stains are worsening! One Nassarius snail died yesterday... Don't know if it's connected with the white stains or if it was murdered by the hermit crab... Any clues? I have attached a new photo from this morning.

Attachments

• image-3438118302.jpg
    image-3438118302.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 114
  • image-4208379735.jpg
    image-4208379735.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 130
TomStav said:
What kind of texture is it, what does it feel like?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

It looks like smooth white paint nit I havnt felt it...

Those nitrates are gonna kill your fish.. I just learned the hard way as well... How did u cycle your tank?

That kind of looks like what happens when my urchin eats the algae off of my LR. Do you have an unchin in there?

thincat said:
That kind of looks like what happens when my urchin eats the algae off of my LR. Do you have an unchin in there?

No but this happened the morning before I added a Peppermint Shrimp and a Red Legged Hermit Crab...Could it be the hermit eating the algae? He seems to like that LR.

BTW I noticed this morning that green algae is starting to grow on top of the white stains

Kdoo624 said:
Those nitrates are gonna kill your fish.. I just learned the hard way as well... How did u cycle your tank?

I added live sand and bacteria and left it for a week then added cured live for like two weeks then I added two clowns to help on my cycling and that it's been almost 4 weeks from that point. I have been adding bacteria as indicated on the instructions on a weekly basis. 2 weeks ago I started using Nitrate reducer by instant ocean after a PWC but nothing happened. Last Sunday I performed a 50% water change but nothing either.

Update I just saw how the hermit eats the algae from the LR leaving those white spots as no algae was let behind...

Back
Top Bottom