Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2004, 12:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Whitespot

At the moment I am going through the soul destroying process of removing dead fish from my aquarium because of whitespot. I dont have a hospital tank. I have been treating them with exodin. My water quality is just about ok ....just live rock and a powerhead keeping it going. My question is.... If i lose my fish will invertebrates and crustations become host to the parasite. My intension was if i lose fish just let it be for a few weeks then restock.

Old 02-14-2004, 12:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

This is the 5th day of treatment

Old 02-14-2004, 06:41 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

If you leave the tank fishless for 4-5 weeks it will be fine, during that time you should consider setting up a quarantine tank to quarantine future occupants. Most find when they start using a q-tank, there fish mortality rate goes down considerably, even if the fish never come down with a parasite or disease during quarantine.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 07:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

reefrunner cheers......can inverts be hosts to this
Old 02-14-2004, 09:34 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
can inverts be hosts to this
No.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 05:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am now on the 7th day of treatment and things are slow at getting better. So far lost 2 percula's, a little wrasse and the fish that started it. Got a maroon clown and yellow tailed blue damsel looking rough but still feeding and hanging on, hope they make it ok. Water parameters seem ok, but ammonia level 0.5, not too bad as only live rock and powerhead supporting it. Just got a actinic lamp running so corals look a bit yuch. When should I do some water changes as I ain't done any since this happened. Wish it would get back to normal. Before I get any more fish I got so set up hospital tank, don't want to go through this again. As well as costing a fortune it's a shame for the fish I lost, I hated that.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Fingers crossed, Things are looking better. My yellow banded clown has got a lot better and has started eating again and looking a bit more active. others are also ok. Corals looking a bit jaded...no lights on apart from actinic.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

now 15 day's since starting the task of treating whitespot in my tank and I may now have turned the corner. Things where looking a bit jaded,corals, tank in general. PH a bit low, amonnia levels a little bit up, so have now done a couple of small water changes, ph back up to 8.2 but corals still not happy looking. Have since turned skimmer back on. How much water changes should i do, Don't want to distress my fish to much. nitrite 0.0/ Nitrates a bit high.

Tags
whitespot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com