Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2004, 07:48 PM   #11
steve-s

No, C. irritans will always be present as long as there is a fish to feed on and the fish itself remains untreated. It will not go away by itself. It is possible for the parasite to remain on the fish for a prolonged period of time (usually no more than 6 months) without showing up providing the fish is extremely healthy, well fed and little or no stress. Basically refered to as "aquired immunity" on the part of the fish which is usually the result of having fought it off before.

Very little is often needed for it to resurface including obviously stress, adding a new fish upsetting the "environmental balance", less than adequate water quality and a reduced immune response from improper diet. One thing I can assure you of though, if the fish does need treating and it's done properly, there is no way it can re-occure due to that particular fish (or fishs) once treated. That part I can guarantee but only if treatment is done properly.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-28-2004, 07:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool, but I guess it can come and go as long as the fish is kept healthy, with no bad effects on the fish?

Old 09-28-2004, 08:11 PM   #13
steve-s

Actually the more often it re-occurs the more toll it will take on the fish overall health and longjevity. The sooner it's dealt with the better off the fish will be and help ensure a much longer life span. No parasite should be left untreated.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-29-2004, 03:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I buy a fish from a tank that has had no whitespot signs for 6 weeks, and no new fish introduced for 6 weeks, and the fish I'm buying has been in there for 6 weeks (!), will I be ok without a QT?
Old 09-29-2004, 05:53 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

And as far as treating whitespot, hyposalinity is prefered over medicine? Would 3 fish (clown/banggai/regal tang) be ok in a 15gal QT if the worst happens? I guess I'd have to do waterchanges every day to keep the amm/nit down.

Can it not go away on it's own?
Old 09-29-2004, 07:59 PM   #16
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
If I buy a fish from a tank that has had no whitespot signs for 6 weeks, and no new fish introduced for 6 weeks, and the fish I'm buying has been in there for 6 weeks (!), will I be ok without a QT?
The chance of introducing a parasite is still very high unfortunately. Unless the fish you are buying is in a tank connected to no other systems, has been isolated in it's own system for the entire 6 weeks and has also been treated, then you would be safe from at least C. irritans. One main problem you need to realize is that most all LFS fish systems are interconnected via the filtration and water flow so even though they may be in their own tank, they are still not truely isolated. They are also quite careless about tranfering items from tank to tank as well as sharing apparatus between tanks. The other thing to consider is that one type of med if used is not effective on all parasite types. It might supress the onslaught of a parasite for a short term but does not always effect a proper cure.

Quote:
And as far as treating whitespot, hyposalinity is prefered over medicine?
If C. irritans then yes, hyposalinity would be the prefered treatment. The term white spot is rather general though so be sure of what you are treating if it ever becomes necessary.

Quote:
Would 3 fish (clown/banggai/regal tang) be ok in a 15gal QT if the worst happens? I guess I'd have to do waterchanges every day to keep the amm/nit down.
Quite small to be honest you would most likely loose at least one fish due to stress and possible water quality issues. Ammonia can spike quite quickly leaving you little time to react. The Banggai and tang will not tolerate it much at all.

Quote:
Can it not go away on it's own?
Nope!!

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-29-2004, 08:04 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hehe, thanks again Steve.

The other option would be to transport the fish for an hour in individual bags to someone I know with either a QT tank each or a bigger tank for treatment.

Would this be harmful on the fish, or would you prefer this over putting the 3 fish in my QT?

If I just do a waterchange everyday in the QT, regardless of how much ammonia is in the water, will that not help prevent a spike?
Old 09-29-2004, 08:06 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

By the way has anyone heard of TMC Marine Cure?
Old 09-29-2004, 09:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
eek...is he ok?
no not eek-- ick/ich

sorry couldn't resist
1 convict
1 pleco

72 gal bowfront
seaclone 150
4 x 65 watt coralife pc
hagen aquaclear 901 in tank
via aqua 3500 with scwd return from wet/dry
160 lbs live rock
40lbs combination sugarsized sand and crushed coral
1 feather dusters
2 emerald crabs
75 hermits scarlet and blue leg
20 turbo snails
3 large brittle stars
2 toadstools
1 colt coral
3 different zoanthid colonies
1 green finger leather, and cabbage leather
1 green starburst
4 different mushrooms
1 large anemone
2 cleaner shrimp
1 6 line wrasse
2 pajama cardinal
1 rock skipping blenny (very cool if you like sadists)
2 percula clown
1 engineer goby
1 scooter blenny

NOT ALL CRABS ARE BAD
rockkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 09:10 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol :p

Tags
whitespot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com