Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2004, 01:16 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Apparently (according to TMC website) some PVC is suitable for even drinking water, but for for marine tanks. Will call them and see if they can suggest anywhere in the UK.

How wide (diameter) should I be getting the pieces of pipe?

Old 09-30-2004, 01:19 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you think these will be ok, as they're from Essential Aquatics and are by "Aqua Medic":-

http://www.essentialaquatics.co.uk/a..._fittings.html

I'm thinking of getting 2 of the 45°elbows, and 2 90°elbows, 63mm.

Old 09-30-2004, 01:23 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Should I be doing QT for 4 or 6 weeks for a regal tang? Considering the size and conditions of the QT tank.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:28 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

And would you use tank water to fill the QT initially or doesn't it matter??

Sorry for all the q's!
Old 09-30-2004, 07:55 PM   #35
steve-s

Quote:
I will cycle the QT - I'll use the sponges initially, and then drop a bit of food in each day?
A bit of food will help but you could also do the shrimp method which would ensure you have a strong biofilter before a fish is added.

Quote:
Then I'll get rid of all the detritus after I've cycled and do a 30% waterchange, then am I sorted for my fish?
Sounds fine.

Quote:
It's been treated with this TMC stuff and is now in a tank with other similarly-treated fish. Would you still get the fish and QT it myself, or could the medicine have damaged the fish?
A I said I have never heard of the TMC product and I have no idea what meds it's comprised of so I couldn't advise you on that. Whithout knowing the active ingredients, I wouldn't know what it was capable of.

The fish if still healthy enough should remain so but as far as parasite contamination, it's impossible to say. If the fish is not in your main system, be sure you QT it first.

Quote:
Should I be doing QT for 4 or 6 weeks for a regal tang? Considering the size and conditions of the QT tank
And would you use tank water to fill the QT initially or doesn't it matter??
Typically the QT period should be a minimum of 3 weeks but no more than 4 is needed. The only time a longer period would be needed is due to treatment or needing to fallow the display tank. Since you are cycling the tank, I would start with fresh SW. The only time I would suggest using tank water is in the case of an emergency transfer from the main tank. Good bacteria cannot be transfered through the water so the only thing it does is tranfer DOC and other issues that may not have been detected.

As far as the PVC pipe is concerned, the "T"'s and Elbows previously mentioned would be just fine. The stuff they sell in the hardware stores will work well enough. Just be sure they have not been chemically treated with mold or fungalcides. It's the same stuff they use in home plumbing. I would mix up the diamter sizes from 2-3" to allow for varying sized fish.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-30-2004, 07:59 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

I cant use the shrimp because its in my bedroom and it'll stink! :P How much food would you put in each day - the same amount as I'd feed one fish?
Old 09-30-2004, 11:01 PM   #37
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
I cant use the shrimp because its in my bedroom and it'll stink! :P
Sure you could use the shrimp, not that much is needed. Only a piece about half the size of your pinky finger would fit the bill. Running carbon would eliminate the smell.

Quote:
How much food would you put in each day - the same amount as I'd feed one fish?
If you went with this method, yes I'd add the same amount you would have normally fed a fish each day.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-01-2004, 03:05 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I do the food instead of the shrimp, how much longer do you think it'd take to cycle; and would the end result mean not as much bacteria would have built up than if I'd used the shrimp?
Old 10-02-2004, 12:23 PM   #39
steve-s

They would both end up resulting in the same as long as the food supply was enough and added throughout the process. It's up to you which is chosen, the shrimp will just be easier. Think of it as "set it and forget it" so to speak.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-02-2004, 04:03 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I add enough food for one fish a day, until cycled, do you think enough bacteria will have built up for one fish in my QT so that I'll only have to do waterchanges once a week?

Tags
whitespot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com