Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Whitespot / ich on veteran clown

Hi all,

My oscellaris clown of 7 odd years I am sure has whitespot / ich. It looks reasonably developed and certainly not just starting out. I think it came from the coral beauty I added weeks ago.

In any event, the coral beauty has started to do the 'rub against a rock' thing, so it seems pretty clear that we are dealing with whitespot / ich, but I cannot see any visible signs of it on the fish itself.

My other oscellaris clown seems fine and is much younger in this tank, more than a year old definately.

Historically I haven't really seen much that makes me comfortable using a chemical and I have left fish in the past to shake off (so to speak) whitespot / ich themselves.

My question is, is it likely that the clown that's suffering it is going to be strong enough from an immune point of view to beat it on it's own? He's been in my tank for 7 years and been though it's own fair share of outbreaks including two or three whitespot / ich outbreaks in the past, so he should be tough enough?

I'm aware that clowns only live about up to 8 or so years in the tank so I'm juggling with the decision of leaving it all alone and hope he fights it off given his age, or trying to remove mainly him but all of them into a hospital tank for a copper treatment.

The problem being my hospital tank is small, only about 30 litres or so, so having those three fish in there will be tight and possibly causing more stress which may knock one or more over the edge.

Outside of the visual aspect of the problem he seems fine and is eating as far as I am aware. It's been a few days with it and it doesn't seem to be getting worse.

Of coarse getting them out will be impossible without removing all the rock which I want to avoid.

He's the only original fish left so I do have a soft spot for him.

flanque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
It may. Feed it lots of good nutrious food (but don't spoil your water), soaked in garlic. And hope for the best. If he's already thrown it off a few times I'm sure he could do it again.

~ Mitch

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
You could always go get some plastic tubs on the cheap, or some $13 10g glass tanks from Walmart to treat them in. One for the two clowns and your current QT for the coral beauty. I wouldnt give the ICH the satisfaction of potentially killing the fish without a fight from my end.

Id nuke them with copper. (In QT tank of course). The ICH will likely survive even if "shaken off" and will just keep coming back again and again.

mrg02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Clownfish rarely get Ich. But they do get Brooklynella

"Brooklynella is a type of saltwater ich caused by an infestation of the ciliated protozoan Brooklynella hostilis. It is most closely and commonly associated with subfamily Clownfish members of the Damselfish family, and therefore is typically referred to as Clownfish Disease. Although this parasitic scourge similar to others requires a fish host to survive, it is not particular in its quest to find one. Angelfishes, tangs or surgeonfishes, wrasses, jawfishes, and seahorses among others will host Brooklynella.

Formalin dips are one cure know to work. I always recommend Hypsalinity for Ich, but Brooklynella can survive longer withour a host fish.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

clown, ich, strong, whitespot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com