Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2004, 08:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Whitespot Problem

Hi,

My annularis angel (the most recent addition to the tank) has whitespot I think. It has all these small white pinhead dots over the entire body.

My ammonia is 0. Nitrite is 0. Nitrate is 0. pH is 8.3-8.5. SG is 1.025. CA is 400. KH is 170. Temp is 26C.

I have some medication products called Melafix and Primafix. One of them is for parasitic infections and is typically a 7 day treatment. It apparently works much better when used in conjunction with the other which is primarily a bacteria and 'general' medication.

Can anyone please recommend what I can do other than this? My information is that I need to get onto this problem very quickly otherwise it can kill the fish. I have recently done a 30% water chance, but have the capacity to do another (I always keep spare water). Is this a good idea? I would imagine so give that the larvae of the parasite live in the free water?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

flanque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 10:57 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Check out Marine Velvet/Oodinium also. Looks like a powder sugar coating on the fish. I lost 8 fish within a 2 week period. You can see it most on their pectoral fins.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 11:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
The most effective treatment is cupramine, but I wouldnt recommend putting it in your display tank. Once you treat with copper you wont be able to have inverts.

If moving all the fish to a hospital tank isnt an option and you dont have or want any inverts then get some cupramine and follow the directions carefully.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,

Thank you for your help so far.

Would you recommend these Primafix and Melafix solutions? They are designed for both bacteria and parasitic diseases.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
I know Melafix is good for Bacterial infections, but I'm not familiar with Primafix. I have personally defeated ich twice with Cupramine, I wouldnt use anything else.

Quarryshark is having success with hyposalinity, maybe he can advise you on how thats is working out.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
It works great for ich, but....
What are your other tank inhabitants? Really should treat in a separate system if possible.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a star fish, a golfball coral, a frogspawn coral, an aneome, 2 oscellaris clowns, a red blenny and two fire gobies.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
well,
you can't treat the main with any good meds then. If you want to do it right yu really need to get a qt tank (at least 20 gallon ,don't know the size of you fish). You can get one pretty cheap. As a plus you would then be able to qt new arrivals and keep this stuff out of your system.
Leave the tank void of fish for 6 weeks will kill off the parasite due to the lack of fish host (inverts are not hosts).
In the qt tank you could treat with hyposalinity. Blennies are sensitive to copper.
The problem with treating the main:
If its 'reef safe" it is not strong enough to kill the parasite. If the med is strong enough to kill the parasite, it will kill your inverts, coral, etc.
Your call, but reads some posts below. This will support my position and help you with procedure.
Good luck.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well unfortunately it got worse.

The dots still existed, but larger patches of a whitish silt like areas developed. There was also relatively small dark patches also developing. The fins on the poor critter started to break away also.

As a side effect the star fish decided to curl up and now my two fire gobies cannot be located. The clowns and the blenny seem to be okay though. I supose their slime coating is strong enough to repel whatever it is.

I have read that there is another condition called Velvet that resembles whitespot, but is much worse and can kill all your inhabitents.

Could this be the problem I had?

Tags
whitespot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com