Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-23-2005, 05:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I would like to get some other peoples opinions on my coments about your substrate and live rock before you act on that. I know that when I was on well water we had to filter it to crazy degrees because we had lots of metals namely lead in the source. I am saying that about your substrate under the asumption that its not so much nutrients cause you haven't had a monster algae bloom or at least you didn't mention it, which leads me to believe there is another contaimination in the water like metals. I figure that if copper treatment for fish illness makes live rock unusable in anything other than a QT tank that you may have a similar situation but im not 100% and since remove all your substrate would pretty much require a new full cycle, lets see what some other people say before we get that going through your head perhaps uneccisarily
However I confidently stand by the need for RO/DI water and you can get it for about a buck a gallon at the store or you can buy a filtration system for your water. Its cheaper in the long run, but it is a long run to hit that point. Your local marine store likely also sells water. I have a kent HI-S RO/DI unit that I use on my water and I like it quite a bit.

Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:41 PM   #12
Is RO/DI water the kind with the blue jugs you see at walmart?
Old 04-23-2005, 09:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
You can buy a RO/DI unit from eBay for under 100$. Just check with the seller before buying it and make sure you don't need anything special for the unit that they sell given the fact that you're using well water (there might be an issue with water pressure... something I've read but not experienced since I have city water). I think the well water is an interesting issue. You never know what's in that from pesticides to heavy metals. I doubt there's much lead in it if it has passed water tests for potability. I think you can take it to a pool supply place and have it tested for metals. Call around first. At least then you'd know what metals you were dealing with.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 09:31 PM   #14
We have city water too, it has clorine in it though thats why I didnt use it.

I was thinking of doing like I used to do with freshwater tank, reserve some city water in a jug or something and when I need to do a water change or top off for evaporation (once a week or so) the clorine is long dead. I am thinking I may just do it this way.

I bet it does have metals in it, I think I will do the city water thing from now on (when I get my LR I will take out some of the water and replace with city water thats been sitting out a while)
Old 04-23-2005, 09:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Usually well water is high in sulphur as well. When I lived on a farm I would haul jugs and jugs of water for my fishtanks. I'm really glad I'm in the city now.
Edmonton Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:06 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
Read your other post do you still have nitrites in the tank. Nitrites are toxic to fish, not as toxic as ammonia but still toxic. Nitrite will drop to zero when cycle is done. Check your parameters again and let us know. You may have just put the fish in to early
EJS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:23 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Did the fish ever eat? One reply earlier said it did not. If it never ate, it was probably sick already. I had 3 chromis die for no apparent reason when I first started. A fish could hang around for 7 days if not eating.

I have always used Seachem kits too.

*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com