Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2005, 03:03 PM   #1
zacdl

Why all the bad luck?

OK My fish are 1/3 that have lived. The damsel died during cycling, not surprising.
Now, the green chromis died yesterday, and I have no clue why.

WHAT IS GOING ON? Should I give up on SW?
Old 04-23-2005, 03:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well....I am by no means the expert here....not even the slightly knowledefied newbie.....but I do know that the first thing your gonna be asked is what are your water parameters.....

Vote for AquariumAdvice
NewFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 03:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to JohnNLuc
How long ago did your cycle end? what are your water params etc? Did you properly acclimate the fish? These are all things that you should consider before throwing your hands up and quitting
JohnNLuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 03:30 PM   #4
zacdl

I had already posted my parameters in the ASAP post that I made that I didnt get any help out of...

Cycle ended 2 weeks or so ago.

Yes Acclimated the fish fine, it died on its 7th day, and only on the 7th day I had it did it act weird.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=50104
Old 04-23-2005, 05:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm still saying that day 7 was an acclimation issue, but that's JMHO.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
What kind of salt do you use? What are you using for top off? Are you dosing anything into the tank, if so, what, how much, and how often? What are you feeding the tank and how often? What temp do you keep your tank at? Finally what brand of test kits are you using?

Sorry about the barage of ?'s.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:33 PM   #7
zacdl

I thought 7 days would be enough time for the fish to be acclimated. Shouldnt it be?
Old 04-23-2005, 05:35 PM   #8
zacdl

Best salt there is, Instant Ocean
Well Water (Natural water found in the ground)
Nope, not dosing anything.
I was feeding veggie flakes or something like that, and just a small amount every day or two (They didnt eat so I put some in there in case they "find" it later)
Temp of tank I try to keep at 78-80
Seachem Test Kit
Old 04-23-2005, 05:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
Okay, I give 20 to 1 odds that its the well water. If your not running it through RO/DI filtration than I bet your dumping tons of heavy metals and other things into your tank that will never show up on any test kits. Secondly the seachems aren't bad kits for getting through a cycle, however I would go with salifert from now on if you want to really know whats going on in there. I have found that sea chem and red sea are very unreliable and often times show you what you "want" to see, not whats actually there.
Buy yourself 30 gallons of RO/DI water or get yourself a filter and make up a fresh batch of IO water. Let that sit for 12 - 24 hours with a powerhead to circulate it and then drain every drop out of your tank. There is a chance that your substrate and live rock could have sopped up some of the stuff in your well water, but only being 7 days you may be okay.
This is just my opinion, but I feel pretty secure in giving it to you.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:52 PM   #10
zacdl

The tank sat for like 2 weeks before I started the cycle, so i bet its a sopped up as it can be.

Where can I get RO/DI Water at and how much is it? I dont want to go to the store every single time I need more water.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com